ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Format Output Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron CadieuxFormat Output Question
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:33:56 pm

I work in Adobe Production Premium CS3. I have been given just over 20 minutes of HD (1080 30p XDCAM) green screen footage that I have removed the green from. I need to return the footage to the client with an alpha channel. He will be handling the edit from there. I tried exporting from AE using the QuickTime Animation codec w/ an alpha channel. The resulting file looked great, but is 132GB. Are there any other encoding options that would yield a high-quality result, but be smaller in size?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Format Output Question
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:06:19 pm

For best quality you will need to use an uncompressed format that supports alpha. That means large files, unless you're on a mac and can render to Apple ProRes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Format Output Question
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:17:00 pm

To expand on Ted's answer a bit, you can use QT's PNG codec -- not a PNG image sequence -- or if you happen to have Final Cut Pro 7 installed, ProRes 4444.

Of the two, PNG is more universal than the other -- the client also needs FCP7 -- and would probably result in smaller file sizes than the same clips rendered in Animation codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Format Output Question
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:42:47 pm

another option is avid's dnxhd. it's practically the same as prores, but is offered free from avid and the highest bit rate supports alpha.

of course it has the same issue that prores does, in that the client needs to have the same codec.

another potential option would be a separate matte and fill, if the client is ok with that...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved