ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Yikes! Screen is Black

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buck MillerYikes! Screen is Black
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 12:23:51 am

Hey All,

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with AE CS4. It has been working well mostly, but I tried connecting an external HD monitor through a mini port to HDMI connector. There seems to be a problem with the HD monitor, and after a few tries to get it working right, my AE window went black. I have scrapped the montor and now trying to fix the AE black screen issue. Nothing works to get rid of it - esc keys, etc. If I fast switch (apple>tab) I can get to my other apps fine, and I see the AE interface in the background. I have reparied permissions, zapped the pram, restarted. The mac is functioning fine, but when I open AE, it goes straight to the black screen and I cannot escape it. I suppose I can trash prefs, just haven't done that before, and want to be sure that is a recommended solution before I mess something up. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Yikes! Screen is Black
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:04:09 pm

Trashing the prefs won't mess anything up. Go for it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Buck MillerRe: Yikes! Screen is Black
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:35:59 am

Thanks Michael. I did that, and that brought it all back to normal. Thanks for your response.

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

Thomas HannenRe: Yikes! Screen is Black
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:29:36 pm

Scary bug...

Just had exactly the same problem in CS6, and your solution works - thanks!

In case anyone else has to look it up - you can trash the prefs in CS6 by holding down CMD+OPTION+SHIFT when you click the icon to open AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved