ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Struggling to work with GoPro footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenStruggling to work with GoPro footage
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:51:24 pm

I shot some footage from my new GoPro Hero 2 yesterday and After Effects is struggling with the MP4 files.

The majority of the footage was shot using the 1280x720p / 60fps setting.

When imported into After Effects, some of the footage that is 10 minutes long will crash (showing the Mac spinning ball until I force quit) After Effects straight away. Other times AE will crash when previewing.

All of the footage will also crash Adobe Media Encoder when trying to export to H.264 format.

I need to find the best solution for this problem, working with these GoPro files effectively and getting the best results from the 60FPS settings.

I read that exporting the footage to Quicktime using MPEG Streamclip might fix the problem but it only made the footage look dark which isn't what I want.

I really hope someone can help, I could have some great fun with this camera, I'd hate to be considering getting rid of it after only having it for a day because I can;t work with the files!

Thank you.

I really do love good design - http://www.splurj.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Struggling to work with GoPro footage
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:59:40 pm

What version of AE are you using?
What codec did you encode it as when you used Streamclip?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: Struggling to work with GoPro footage
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 9:16:32 pm

I thin that I've found a solution, but strangely it wasn't by using Gopro's Cineform Studio which they tell you to use for converting your files, this only let me import the audio and the footage was just black in AE CS4.

I did manage to find a solution using Streamclip in the end and outputting a QuickTime file using the Apple Prores 422 setting and 100% quality, this worked fine, I think that before I was just using the default QuickTime setting which is where I went wrong.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I really do love good design - http://www.splurj.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Struggling to work with GoPro footage
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:39:11 pm

CS4 struggled with MP4 and other long GOP codecs. Your ProRes workflow sounds perfect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]