ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixel aspect ratio problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mendelsohn
Pixel aspect ratio problem
on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:10:19 pm

I'm working in a FCPX on a little movie whose dimensions are allegedly 720 by 480. When I import a still 720/480 frame created in Photoshop into the movie, it is much shorter and a bit narrower than it needs to be. I know I need to make the pixels non-square in PS, but what ratio, please? Is it, because 720 is to 480 as 3 is to 2, 1.33?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Pixel aspect ratio problem
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:28:15 pm

There are multiple approaches to this problem; I like to set up a 720x534 comp in PS (that's 4:3 with 720 in the '4' spot), do all my graphics there (scale any video stills to fit the new size, etc) and then just before sending to FCP, I will save a copy and resize it to 720x480.

The mantra: Do all graphics in square-pixel land. For my part, it saves me a lot of trouble down the road.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

John Mendelsohn
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:49:54 am

Very many thanks, sir.

Return to posts index

John Mendelsohn
on Jan 9, 2012 at 9:19:13 am

Very many thanks, sir. Here's my dilemma. I need to save the last frame of a Motion movie and then get it into Final Cut Pro, looking identical, to serve as the background therein. Any suggestions will be warmly welcomed, and gratefully received.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 8, 2012 at 9:32:07 pm

In Photoshop, make the dimensions of a new image 720x480, 72dpi, RGB, and in the lower section, click "Advanced" and under Pixel Aspect Ratio, select D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.2).

Now, that being said, sometimes you'll get different results from different NLE's and how they'll handle still images. Another approach is to make your image 853x480 with a square pixel aspect ratio, or 864x480 with a square pixel aspect ratio.

Try them and see which works best for you.

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

John Mendelsohn
on Jan 9, 2012 at 9:26:58 am

Hi, Scott. The lower section of what (for Advanced)? What is an NLE, please?
Many thanks for your kind attention.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]