ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Setting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrice DucouretSetting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:17:45 pm

I am trying to import four photoshop (.psd) 3D layers into a composition (3D images of rockets moving along a path, leaving behind 4 particle trails that I have already created in the composition).
I have imported the first (1 out of 4) 3D layer into the composition - it set itself up as "camera 2", "layer 1 controller", "layer 1".

When I try to copy and paste the second rocket into the composition, it creates another 3 layers (camera 3, layer 2 controller and layer 2) and the first 3D layer that was successfully imported suddenly disappears from sight. Should I rename something, pair elements, Change order of layers? Did I import it wrong? (i imported it by double-clicking on the 3D element in the project tab, then copying and pasting it from its own tab into the composition) It seems that the attributes of one of the 3D cameras are wrong when I paste, and sort of mess it up and make other 3D elements invisible, but I can't understand what really happens.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Setting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:31:35 pm

You are only allowed a single Camera to be working at any given time. My suspicion is that your cameras aren't pointing at the same place, so your new camera hasn't deleted the other 3D item, it's just pointing a different direction....

In your comp window, enable a 4-camera view. Try to find both cameras and both your 3D objects in the top or side views. My guess is you will need to reposition one of the 3D objects.

Whichever 3D camera is the highest in the layer order will be used, assuming it's visibility is turned on and the layer hasn't been trimmed to another part of the comp.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Fabrice DucouretRe: Setting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 9:43:48 pm

Thanks a lot Ben, I'm excited that I might soon be finding out, after months of being stuck, why this isn't working... I did what you suggested, and placed all the cameras at the same position. The attached image is what the 4 views show, but I can't understand why the missing 3D layer isn't showing, still... Could it be a layer or a layer controller hiding it?
screenshot2012-01-07at22.32.41pm.jpg

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Setting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:06:07 am

I can't tell where your cameras are in that screenshot, but I did notice that Layer 2 is in a different spot from Layer 1, and you might want to move it (in the Top and Side views) so it is in approximately the same place as Layer 1.

I should point out that I haven't done much with 3D Photoshop stuff in AE, so there may be subtle (or not so subtle) details that I'm not aware of in this process....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Fabrice DucouretRe: Setting up different 3D objects in the same composition and keeping them all visible
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:44:32 am

Thanks for your help ben. I tried what you said but it was unsuccessful again.
I gave up on the idea of having a composition all in 3D, I think I will just export each missile as a different 2D layer after I animate it in After, and then key them out into the 3D composition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]