ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular streaklet visible before/after lifespan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart De NeveParticular streaklet visible before/after lifespan
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52:57 am

I've been trying to fix a problem with the a light streak animation. As shown in the screencap, for each lightstreak the streaklet is already/still visible before and after it gets born and dies off.

I can try to manually keyframe opacity settings (or other paramaters), but am wondering if I'm not just overlooking the obvious here ...

Settings used:
Emitter type: light, Particle type: streaklet, opacity over life is following a gaussian curve. So opacity starts and ends at zero, but still a "burned-in" streaklet is visible all the time ...

I've also played with various transfer modes for both the particles layer, the emitter layer and the particles setting, which sometimes reduces the effect, but if never really solves the problem.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

/. Bart

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Particular streaklet visible before/after lifespan
by on Jan 7, 2012 at 9:44:39 am

Hi there,

Are you using the Aux System? If so then you may need to adjust the Opacity over Life settings in there? Also, if you have the Opacity Random setting higher than 0 this may be preventing the opacity from fading completely.

If you can't get this to work by checking these perhaps you can use the Visibility settings with an Obscuration Layer to "fudge" it to get what you need?

Hope this helps.

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

Bart De NeveRe: Particular streaklet visible before/after lifespan
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:44:49 am

Hi Angie,

thanks for the response. I'm not using the aux systems + Opacity randomness is also set to zero.

I'm working around the problem by making it one path and animating the start and end position of the streaklet out of frame...

/. Bart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved