ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A more simple way?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Butch GoldenA more simple way?
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:09:47 pm

This should be simple but doesn't seem to be atm. A lack of poignant keywords leaves me a big pile of posts without anything very close to what I really need for an answer so far. I have also perused a few stock video galleries but nothing that I have seen really fits the mood the client is looking for.

I'm required to do a motion graphic as a continuous loop for a web site header with a still image of a sunset on a lake as a background but have the water in motion moving in a continuous and subtle way towards the viewer. (No shoreline so no need for a termination of the effect)

I've no problem with the sunset part of the graphic and eliminating everything not desired below the horizon line but.....

Outside of using something like RealFlow in C4D and creating a mesh for it, then animating the water flow, then render, then bring that into AE to place over the still image and create the continuous loop, is there an alternative approach?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:32:42 pm

Check out the Caustics and Wave World effects. They may do the trick for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:02:03 am

Butch -

If there's money in your budget for it, you couldn't do better than Red Giant's Tsunami:

I believe it's a couple of hundred bucks, and it allows you to animate just the water part (you can do calm lake water as well as billowing waves) and use a different image for the background, which is what it appears you're trying to do.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:55:35 am

There's also the option of buying FreeForm Pro from Mettle if you're going to spend some money. While Psunami is great for water, that is pretty much all is going to do, where FreeForm Pro can be used for a wide variety of projects. There is also an enhancement pack (preset projects) for FF Pro - the Aqua Pack designed by yours truly, that creates water using FF Pro.
Here are a few useful links:

And some examples of water using FF Pro (and Aqua Pack):

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Butch GoldenRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:22:39 pm

I wish to thank all of you for great suggestions.

My budget for new tools is non-existent atm and the effort is a donation for a worthy cause so I'll have to see what I can do with Dave's recommendations.

Any suggestions for tutorial's or info sheets on Water World would help. I must figure out how to get a water color than the stock gray-ish color and so far haven't seen where or how to control the color in the UI for that effect.

Have a great weekend!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:44:56 pm

I believe I have just the tutorial for you: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Butch GoldenRe: A more simple way?
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:17:48 pm

Thanks Michael
I'll look into this today. I actually saw this tut some time back but it didn't come to mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved