ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Painting on a text layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric OlsonPainting on a text layer
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:39:34 pm

Is it possible to paint on a text layer? I'd like to reveal the text using the paint tools but I don't see anyway to paint on the layers.

I would use write-on or stroke but I need a bigger brush than 50 px.

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Painting on a text layer
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:11:04 pm

Animate a mask on a solid. Use the solid as a track matte for the text.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig RickerRe: Painting on a text layer
by on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:10:25 am

Is there not a way to do what the OP asked though? I too would like to use paint tools to reveal a text layer. Would of liked to be able to paint in the text layers alpha channel. Like you can do in a video or picture layer.

The other option is to create a solid and paint on it, and then use as a track matte, but i'd love to know if anyone has a good way of doing this whilst being able to see the text layer at the same time. Like how to paint on the solid and ensure your painting over the text layer precisely.

At the moment I have a layer and composition window open to help guide me, but its still guess and check.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 660

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Painting on a text layer
by on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:40:40 pm

[Craig Ricker] "Is there not a way to do what the OP asked though?"

There IS a way to do it, but not using the paint tools. You have to animate a mask -- or multiple masks -- for the text layer, and it can get a little cumbersome & time-consuming.

For this kind of chore, it's probably better to do it with two layers: the text layer and a track matte layer.

I'm not saying it's right, but people have been trying animate line drawing or write-on effects for years in AE, and it takes some effort. It's never been the easiest thing to pull off, and newcomers are often amazed at the hoops that are necessary to jump through.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]