ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you do this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara IkeHow do you do this effect?
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:58:43 pm

Hi, I want to know how to the effect for the namekey in this video?

at about 8 seconds, boxes appear for the name key and they follow a path and look like they fold (where part of the box is farther back in 3D space than the other). Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How do you do this effect?
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:07:27 pm

i think you could simply create a solid with a mask that has a shape that looks like the perspective that you want, then simply use linear wipe for the reveal.

if you really wanted to make it 3d, then you could just use a 3d solid for the right face, and another for the front face and time up linear wipe on each to create the reveal.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sara IkeRe: How do you do this effect?
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:31:23 pm

So if i'm doing a shape layer, say a rectangle, i would put a mask on the rectangle layer and then have it follow that? i want to give the move some depth like in the video but not sure how.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:28:44 pm

actually i wouldn't move the layer at all, i'd just wipe it on with the linear wipe effect, but i'd create the layer in the shape that looked like it had that perspective.

you could create the layer in after effects using masks on a layer or with a shape layer. or you could create the element in photoshop or illustrator (or similar software) and import that into after effects.

then add the linear wipe effect and animate it wiping on and off horizontally.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:35:26 pm

sorry i missed one part, you'd also need to add another linear wipe effect after the first one to wipe the right edge off after the first wipe come in.

you could also use the shape that you create as a track matte for a layer that would simple move horizontally on and of screen. if the layer was narrow enough (just the width of the text perhaps) then it would create the same effect as using 2 instances of linear wipe... and thus half the number of keyframes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: How do you do this effect?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 1:26:27 pm

I would just animate the three black bars on and off. And then for the top bar have it pass under a subtractive type mask on its way in and out which gives the illusion that its moving in 3D. I had to watch it a dozen times and pause it to tell what was going on. It's actually a nice little detail that takes almost no work to do.

3495_lowerthird.aep.zip

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]