ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particular: Rotating the emitter path on the Y axis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel ChristieParticular: Rotating the emitter path on the Y axis
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 12:30:43 pm

Hi,

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I currently have a light set up as my emitter. It is constantly drawing a shape (by changing XY coordinates). What I want to do is then rotate that shape on the Y axis so it is spinning.

Any thoughts? Is there a simple solution that I am not seeing or is it going to require some expressions?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particular: Rotating the emitter path on the Y axis
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 4:00:23 pm

[Daniel Christie] "Let me explain what I am trying to do. I currently have a light set up as my emitter. It is constantly drawing a shape (by changing XY coordinates). What I want to do is then rotate that shape on the Y axis so it is spinning."

Here are two approaches, with totally different results:

Add a 3D null object to the scene, place it in the center of your shape, parent the emitter light to the null, then rotate the null. This will cause the emitter to rotate about the null object as it moves, twisting your particle stream.

Alternately, animate Particular's World Transform property to spin the entire particle system together as one unit.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Daniel ChristieRe: Particular: Rotating the emitter path on the Y axis
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 1:00:37 am

Thanks Walter! I'll give the Null idea a shot.

I had messed around with the 'world transform' settings, but it seemed a rather inefficient way to get the effect I wanted, given that I would have to animate around the path.

Cheers,

Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]