ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question regarding AE resolution upscaling engine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom David
Question regarding AE resolution upscaling engine
on Jan 4, 2012 at 7:10:16 am

Hello,

If I create an SD (720x576) composition (with lots of vectored text and shape masks etc), and if I then drop this SD comp into an HD (1920x1080) composition, is there a way that AfterEffects will work its way back through the compositions to create a true HD image, or will it only upscale the SD composition?

I have tried playing with the "Preserve resolution when nested" settings in the advanced tab of the comp settings, but this doesn't seem to work - the HD composition just looks like upscaled SD rather than the sharp lines if I just made it in HD in the first place.

The reason I ask is I would like to work in a 720x576 (16:9 anamorphic SD PAL) composition because a) it is faster to render and b) to present the client with an standard definition DVD. However I would like the option of later upscaling to HD.

I was trying to avoid creating the whole project in a HD comp to avoid slow render times. So I figured that when I am ready for output, I could drop the SD comp into a HD comp, and then let it render out as it needs.

And also, if I create the whole project in SD and then try to change the SD comp settings to 1920x1080 HD, I need to scale everything up and the camera moves go all out of whack etc.

Does anyone have any suggestion? It would be great to get a better understanding of how the AfterEffects render engine treats resolution in nested sequences.

Or is it worth doing this at all - is simply changing the quality of (FULL, HALF, THIRD, QUARTER) the HD project, have the same effect as working in a low res composition.

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Question regarding AE resolution upscaling engine
on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:24:07 am

Use the "Scale Composition" script from File/Scripts/. If you have vectors only then all will stay sharp. If you have bitmap images then it all depends on the original size of those images.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 4, 2012 at 2:47:11 pm

Have you tried ticking the Continuous Rasterization box for your precomp?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:11:29 pm

No I have not - where can I find this option to try please?

Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:31:14 pm

Pro tip: search the AE help for terms you don't recognize. The very first link when searching the AE help for Continuously Rasterize was this: [link] In it it tells you:
In the Timeline panel, click the layer’s Continuously Rasterize switch, which is the same as the Collapse Transformations switch for precomposition layers.
And it even includes a picture of what it looks like. There are also video tutorials there to explain more about it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:40:37 pm

Thanks, I'm on the road so will look when I get back.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:53:18 am

Thank you - finally got around to figuring this out - I was only ticking rasterise switch in the final composition, but not getting the upscaling results that I wanted.

But then I found that I needed to tick the rasterize button for EACH composition as they were nested deeper and deeper back in the project.

So now I can up-res what I was working on (new client asked me to make a DVD - thus SD project) - the client since asked for a HD version. This will solve this.

Thanks again.
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:33:04 pm

[Tom David] "...I would like to work in a 720x576 (16:9 anamorphic SD PAL) composition because a) it is faster to render and b) to present the client with an standard definition DVD."

I understand the lure of doing that, but I don't think it's a great idea. It's much better to work in HD, especially if you work with bitmapped footage like stills or video files.

You can always nest the HD comp inside a PAL DV Widescreen comp to make the file for DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]