ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph HermanHow to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 6:29:10 am

Hello,

I have some DNxHD files with a .mxf extension on them which I would like to bring into After Effects.

I've never done this before. I also notice that the audio left and right are separate channels. But I don't even care about the audio, I just want to bring in the video.

How would you do this?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:30:32 pm

Might be a daft question, but have you installed the DNxHD codecs for Quicktime? Might be a start if you're having trouble importing these files to AE.

http://www.stephenblacker.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:03:34 pm

ae does support mxf import/export, but only for a several codecs (which are pretty much acquisition/camera codecs), and i don't believe dnxhd is included, but you could check the online manual for your version of ae for specifics.

you can definitely convert the mxf to an mov container and keep the same codec (dnxhd) if you have the avid quicktime components installed the steve mentions (they are a free download from avid). and you could export that from your avid.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:20:19 pm

[Kevin Camp] "ae does support mxf import/export, but only for a several codecs (which are pretty much acquisition/camera codecs), and i don't believe dnxhd is included, but you could check the online manual for your version of ae for specifics."

I'll confirm that. MXF import is basically limited to P2 and XDCAM.

The easiest way to get at this media is to export the MXF from your Avid as a Quicktime, using the "Same as Source" option. In AE, you can render directly to DNxHD in a Quicktime container for fast-import back into Avid. See Michael Kamme's excellent Avid is Self-Aware - Fast Import blog post [link] for more on DNxHD and import with Media Composer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph HermanRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 6:57:50 pm

Thanks for all of your answers. I have an Avid License, which I just got, but I am mostly a compositor and animator.

Now I have to figure out how to do this on the Avid. The problem is, I have zero hours experience with the Avid (though I am not bad at Premiere, which I really like).

If you know any resources online that go over how to convert this to Quicktime using "Same as Source" I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

steve agriosiRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:55:50 pm

how about quicktime reference since u have avid!

Return to posts index

Joseph HermanRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:59:18 pm

Hi. I just have to figure out how to do it. (I just got Avid MC6).

Return to posts index

Eric Mc GuireRe: How to import Avid DNxHD .mxf files into After Effects
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 10:36:44 am

place you in-out marks, select your tracks, and: Export, Quicktime Reference. Open it in AE.

You can also work with Automatic Duck import if you want, but it is
more complicated.

If you work with video footage, you might want to stick with the REC 709 colorspace in AVID. You'll sleep more nights in your life.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]