ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Practice Request: Render Settings for Windows AE CS5.5 using ProRes Footage for return to Mac Editing system

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob DahlBest Practice Request: Render Settings for Windows AE CS5.5 using ProRes Footage for return to Mac Editing system
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:54:42 pm

Hello all...

I am looking for guidance for exporting rendered scenes that I am working on for film. I have a Win7, AE5.5. QTPro.

While the debate on ProRes will continue in other threads, I can read ProRes perfectly in AE and like it.

So, I am ready to export and would like your best practice settings to return a mov file back to the Mac Client. Yes, I know ProRes is not an option. I did render out QT mov using the TGA codec. (although now millions of colors instead of trillions). The file size is larger than the original but seemed to look comparable: new vs. original.

Are there better export options to return to the Mac Final Edit Pro?

Your wisdom and assistance is appreciated.

Rob

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.transparentalchemy.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best Practice Request: Render Settings for Windows AE CS5.5 using ProRes Footage for return to Mac Editing system
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:23:51 pm

You mean Final Cut Pro? I'd double-check your version of QT; make sure you've got the fully-updated QT7 for win. I'm pretty sure it'll allow you to render one of the various flavors of QT.

Having said that, I cut on FCP at work, and run AE on a Windows box at home. At home, I render out PNG image sequences for use at work. Yeah, they're huge in terms of file size, but lossless.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Practice Request: Render Settings for Windows AE CS5.5 using ProRes Footage for return to Mac Editing system
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:40:16 pm

[Rob Dahl] "I did render out QT mov using the TGA codec. (although now millions of colors instead of trillions). The file size is larger than the original but seemed to look comparable: new vs. original."

QuickTime with PNG compression is also lossless and may get you smaller file sizes than TGA, but it will still be limited to 8-bit in Quicktime. If you're only working in 8bpc anyway, this won't yield any additional loss.

You might also consider Avid's free DNxHD or the CineForm codec as lightly-compressed, cross-platform ProRes alternatives.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]