ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buck MillerAE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:46:00 pm

I am using Primatte 5, and it is doing well for the most part, but this one shot I have (repeats a few times) is a little tricky and I am getting some "flashing" in some areas. I am using some masks to partition off areas that have green that I do not want to key. So I am wondering this: Is there a way to create a black or white solid and "add" it to the alpha channel, essentially as an addition to the mask? I am not sure that I am asking the question right. But I am basically wanting to "paint" in some black areas (or white for foreground) onto the matte. How can that be done? Thanks everyone!

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: AE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:35:51 pm

A mask will do just that - depending on the mode it's working in (add, substract...), so I am unclear what the issue is...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Buck MillerRe: AE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:20:46 pm

A little hard to explain but here goes. I shot an interview on a set, that looks out a window to a green screen. The frame of the window is made of brushed aluminum, so it got alot of green spill, that is very viewable from some angles. So I am actually trying to pull two keys.

The first key is the green screen masked off from the set. That matte looks pretty good.

Then I am taking that comp and putting it into another comp that pulls the second key, which is the spill on the window frame. I am trying to sell the shot by using a reversed copy of that background footage on the frame (replacing the green spill). It is working well in some, but not so good in this one, plus, the camera moves a bit in this shot.

So I am thinking that since the window frame has a real edge and is angular, making a mask or a black or white solid for it would be fairly easy. I have made the mask and it did well. The problem is, because it is "spill", it is hard to pull a great key. Seems like if I could just "paint" onto the alpha where I want the key to happen, I can fill in the "holes". I hope this makes sense. I can send you a file if that helps. Thanks Ted - really love your work.

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: AE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:18:19 am

If the shot is one where the camera moves, the track with Mocha and then you can either use a mask with the track data on a duplicate layer that cuts out everything else but the window shape and color correct to get rid of the green spill, or comp a clean plate behind that you create in PSD and add grain to.
You may also want to give Keylight a shot- it has some great tools for color suppression and it may be able to clean up the green on your frame.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Buck MillerRe: AE Matte Question - Pulling a greenscreen key
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:18:10 pm

Thanks Ted. I would like to test that theory. At this point, I am in a bit of a time crunch and probably going to need to find someone to build these for me. So later I will try that as I want to become somewhat proficient at greenscreen. Thanks for your time and ideas.

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]