ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Project in 24P going to BluRay and DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Project in 24P going to BluRay and DVD
on Jan 2, 2012 at 1:01:49 am

I built a project in 24P.

The deliverables include files ready for BluRay and DVD. I don't normally deal with this stuff so I have a few questions.

1. Can I keep it at 24 frames a second or should I switch it to 23.97? If the answer is 23.97, could I just change my comp's frame rate, and the small disparity between 24 and 23.97 be unnoticeable in terms of audio playback?

2. DVD can be coded at the above frame rate (24 or 23.97, which ever one is correct), right? It doesn't need to be 29.97, right?

3. I'm working in the HD Rec 709 color workspace. Can that work with the SD DVD file or do I need to change is to an NTSC color space.

4. I'm delivering web/computer playback files too. Does the HD Rec 709 work with Quicktime files and WMV files or should I drop it to sRGB for these?

Thanks so much. I owe anyone who responds a few beers. Some of this stuff I just don't know and some of it is slightly confusing to me. Thanks!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Project in 24P going to BluRay and DVD
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:31:56 pm

I believe that DVD uses 23.976 fps for 24p content. Blu-ray is capable of either 23.976 or true 24.0. It's possible that your authoring program may allow you to use true 24.0 content, but I tend to work at native frame rates for display in the US.

Since you're using color management in AE, you can simply add additional output modules to the item in your render queue with the correct scaling (720x480 for DVD in the US, native or whatever you choose for the web) and output color profiles to (SDTV for DVD, sRGB for the web, per the Adobe color management white paper [link]).

Some web browsers are color managed now, but most desktop players are not.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
Re: Project in 24P going to BluRay and DVD
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:49:21 pm

Thanks, Walter! Very helpful.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin