ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
viking jonssonChanging Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Dec 30, 2011 at 11:58:24 am

Hello,

I'm helping out on a project shot with stills and then morphed together to create motion.

I noticed the video had some weird composition settings :/

It's stills in different resolution which have created compositions with different Aspect Ratios and every composition is set to 29.97 fps, our standar is 25 fps.
Also there is one main comp where pre-comps are added. The pre-comps is of much higher resolution then the main comp. I also noticed that the proxy-files don't show the same colors as the original images, I think the images only been color corrected in photoshop.

1. Can I change the aspect ratios of the comps with out any down sides, a lot of masking has been done to create the morph effects so I don't want to mess that up. I know I would have to resize the images, would this be possible to do with RED GIANT Instad HD with out messing things up (i.e masks etc.)?

2. Can I change to 25 fps at the final render or is there any down sides with that? Is there possibly a better way to solve the fps? It so many comps and Pre-comps so it will be time consuming changing it in every comp.

3. Why don't the proxy show the correct colors?

One more thing. Time Remapping is used constantly in this project. It seems like some clips after effects won't render when added to render queue. It just stops and the Mac Bath Ball shows up.. and stays forever.. If Time remapping is removed it seems more clips renders.

4. Why won't after effects render time remapping? Is there any good alternative to time remapping?
i've tried time warp and some others. The clips have to be stretched out in the comp, the full image sequence must be played - not like time warp that only plays a part of the clip in slow-mo for as long as the image sequence exist in the time line.

thank you
Viking

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Dec 30, 2011 at 6:58:50 pm

I'm not sure about your color issues, maybe you could explain the problem in more detail? I also don't know why you wouldn't be able to render out a comp with time-remapping unless there's some sort of issue with the proxy files. Are they H.264 or some compressed format? If so, they may need to be converted to QT Animation or something more AE-friendly. Or you can try changing the Render Settings>Proxy Use to "use no proxies".

As for the comp settings, there is a great free script from AEscripts called CompSetter that can automate that process for you. Be sure to put it in the Adobe After Effects CS5>Support Files>Scripts>ScriptUI Panels folder because it has a user interface. You can also use the standard script "resize composition" that comes with AE to resize the comps and their contents individually. They have a lot of very useful scripts that may help you as well.

HTH

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Dec 30, 2011 at 7:19:03 pm

As to the frame rate, you can just drop your 29.97 comps into a comp that matches the settings you want and everything will conform.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

viking jonssonRe: Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:38:38 am

Thank You guys, I will most def try this advices out.

About the color in the proxy-files: they look hazy or maybe foggy (I don't know the word im looking for..)
But if I stop using the proxy it gets better with contrast and so on. it would just be nice to see in the proxy.

I guess maybe the proxy is made before the color correction in photoshop happend. Could that be it?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:35:23 pm

That's definitely possible. As long as it looks correct in the final I wouldn't worry about it.

Return to posts index

viking jonssonRe: Changing Aspect Ratios, resize images, working with proxy-files, convert fps. any thoughts?
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:15:01 am

Tanka for the advices, arena like fixed most of our problems :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]