ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Reducing video file size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan SerenoReducing video file size
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 2:56:50 pm

I have to upload a video to for my college portfolio. The website has a 120 MB file size limit.
I have a 720 .mov video which is 1 minute 25 seconds long and is 2.8 GB.

How should I re-render/resize the video so that it will be 120 MB but lose the least amount of video quality. What would be the best video compression to use?
I realize I will be losing a LOT of quality, but I want to do this in a way that I will lose the least amount possible.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Reducing video file size
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:39:22 pm

You don't say what codecs you can use, but if I'm uploading something to the web, and I want good quality and size I'll render to an H.264.

Usually looks great and has small file sizes. Render a lossless codec like animation and then open media encoder and find a H.264 preset.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Reducing video file size
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:51:16 pm

I'm with John. Don't get rid of your large file, use it in the Adobe Media Encoder to make your compressed h.264 file.

You don't want to use AE to render a compressed file for two reasons:

1. You will probably need to try several different settings in the delicate balance between quality and file size and you don't want to have to render your AE comp eveyr single time.

2. AE can't do multipass encoding. Multipass encoding gets you better-looking video at smaller file sizes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Reducing video file size
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:46:46 pm

I second the guys before me- Encoder is the way to go. You can use the f4v, flv or H264 presets. Use variable bit rate and 2 pass. In the end you should be able to get a decent size file. Be aware that sometimes Encoder does not refresh in showing you the estimated final size, so your compressed file may turn out to be smaller that estimated.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Carr LockwoodRe: Reducing video file size
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:22:30 pm

i know its to late now but i also had to do this recently and i exported mine from after effects using H.64 and what should have been like a 3 GB video file was only about 7 mb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved