ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jittery titles HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Miller
Jittery titles HD
on Dec 23, 2011 at 4:44:51 am

I have been looking at the various posts on scrolling titles but none seems clear on this. I have titles that should take 2'30" or so to scroll. I have them so they are pretty good, but still jitter and I am worried that will glare on the big screen.

I am going to layback to HD Cam for projection at festivals.

The project is 1920x1020, 23.98.

I took the layer from photoshop as a PNG. (I tried as a PSD but it slowed down the process).

I think i need to get the pixel movement to sync with the frames but I can't do the math.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Jittery titles HD
on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:40:29 pm

Video at 24p is just in the range where things can look jittery no matter what you do.

I found this thread that I think will be helpful:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/978943#981793

The important part is what Dave posting of the expression Kevin made. Paste the expression into your position of the psd and adjust the expression rate.

rate = 2; //value in px/sec.
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
if (time > marker.key(1).time){
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-marker.key(1).time)];
}else{
value;
}
}else{
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-inPoint)];
}

just position the roll where you want it to start and it will march up the screen at the rate that you set. even rate values should be used if you are rendering to an interlaced format, and if you set the rate too high the roll will appear kind of strobe-like.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Keith Miller
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:36:51 pm

Hi John-

Thanks for the reply!

I saw Kevin's response in my search, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

What does "Paste the expression into your position of the psd and adjust the expression rate." mean?

Where do I paste it?

Position of the PSD is the object's position in the frame i take it?

What or where is "expression rate"?

(I am self taught in all of this so I often misuse terms).

Thanks,

Keith

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 23, 2011 at 4:40:49 pm

rate = 2; //value in px/sec.
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
if (time > marker.key(1).time){
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-marker.key(1).time)];
}else{
value;
}
}else{
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-inPoint)];
}

You want to copy this expression, now twirl down your credits layer and open up the position property. Now press "alt" and click the stopwatch. That opens up the expression editor. Overwrite what's there and paste the expression into the blank field.

"rate = 2; //value in px/sec."
The top line of the expression controls the speed...ie rate. Adjusting the number(2) to a higher number will increase the speed of your credits. Too high and you will get jitter again, so try and keep it slow, particularily since you are using 24p.

Personally I find 24p to be bothersome as almost all fast movement just looks strobed to my eyes, just my 2 cents though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Keith Miller
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:32:19 pm

Hi John-

Thanks for the reply!

That seems to have worked with the 24p caveat well taken. It jitters but not a lot less.

Do you have any better way to do titles? Or is it just a case of avoid 24p titles? Which would be tough since we shot and edited in 24p.

keith

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:50:09 pm

My better way is to do them on my Avid, which seems to provide a better credit roll than AE(common problem, that's why there are so many threads about creating smooth credit rolls)

Here's a link to what adobe has to say about credit rolls:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F23D67B-B5B7-
4c70-B66E-3E13F7B5C317a.html

You could try the autoscroll preset. Another thing to do is apply the "reduce interlace flicker" effect. It applies a very small vertical blur, sometimes that will do the trick.

Good luck, I know the challenge of trying to come up with a good credit roll recipe.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]