ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Cube Track Matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George DeFrates
After Effects Cube Track Matte
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:48:57 pm

Hi,

I am trying to make a track matte in After Effects CS5 of a screen full of rotating cubes. All the individual cubes would rotate from left to right to reveal a photo. I've tried the block dissolve and linear wipe effects but these do not give me what I am looking for.

Any suggestions how this would done?

Thanks.

George

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects Cube Track Matte
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:03:13 pm

There are tons of ways you could do this.
You could make two comps, one with cubes and one with just one face of the cubes. Then use the one face comp as a track matte.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:15:53 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure what you mean. I must make a good number of small 4 sided cubes as one layer then another layer with just the front side of the cube as a track matte? I don't want to reveal the cube layer. I want to the cube track matte to rotate my photo to the screen as a number of small cube turn to bring the photo on screen.

If I had a screen full of cubes with front side white and rotating to the right side which is black would that reveal the photo using the cubes as a luma track matte?

Thanks Mike.

George

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:19:57 pm

[George DeFrates] "I don't want to reveal the cube layer. I want to the cube track matte to rotate my photo to the screen as a number of small cube turn to bring the photo on screen."

Why bother with track mattes at all? They won't give you the rotation you're looking for.

Don't you want to split up the image over a series of cube faces so that it's reconstructed as they rotate in?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:31:04 pm

I was under the impression that he just wanted the image to be revealed by the cube faces as they turned. Thus my suggestion. You're right, if he wants what you're suggesting, he's going to need a completely different work flow.

Hey George, any chance Card Wipe will give you what you want? (It's not cubes, but it does give you a cool flipping 3d transition.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:38:36 pm

You might want to check out Broadcast Gems CubeWipe FX. Not overly expensive.

http://www.broadcastgems.com/cubewipefx/

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:38:30 pm

Hi Walter,

I guess that would work as well. If I do it in that manner how do I break up the photo into the small (50x50 pixels)?

George

George

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Dec 22, 2011 at 7:07:54 pm

Hi Walter,

I checked this plug-in out and it looks like this is by far the best way to go. Thanks for the tip.

Lot of thanks to Mike as well. You guys are great and so are the Cow Forums!

George

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]