ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make particles fall off floor?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew VincentMake particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:19:41 am

Could anyone tell me how to make particles fall off a floor in Adobe After Effects CS5.5?

I've tried with both Particular and CC Particle World..I couldn't get it to work.
Thank you very much in advance!

If you're having trouble visualizing what I'm trying to achieve, an example is in

video when the guy gets sucked into his calculator. You can see particles falling off the table.

Also, I don't really need this, but does anyone know how he made the grid flash before he starting playing Tetris? Keyframing every square would seem tedious, there's probably a simpler way to how he did that.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Make particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:44:23 pm

I don't know about the particles in AE. But I personally would do them in Cinema 4D and it would be pretty easy. But it seems like he did do it in AE somehow.

For the flashing grid: I'm sure he built the black grid in Illustrator and the flashing is just a pattern that moves up it. The pattern is animated to jump a line's width each time and either has its opacity adjusted or is in a blend mode.

This is off topic, but that video lacks cohesive vision. Please don't do stuff like that.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Make particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:07:31 pm

Can you give an example of what you've tried so we know how far along you are?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew VincentRe: Make particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:17:43 pm

Kevin, if you could explain how to do that in Cinema 4D, that would be great! I was actually going to ask a similar question in the Cinema 4D forums, but it looks like you could tell me.

Michael, I tried bounce and slide with CC particle world, and making the grid pretty small. They still bounced/slid on an invisible plane regardless if the grid extended that far or not. For particular, I made a plane out of a solid, and tried the same thing as particle world, except it got faster as it went off the edge of the plane for some reason!

And thank you Walter, I'll try that in a bit! I did something similar to what you typed right now, except I don't think I set the floor mode to "Layer Size"

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Make particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:00:43 pm

[Andrew Vincent] "I did something similar to what you typed right now, except I don't think I set the floor mode to "Layer Size""

That part's important -- the default is "Infinite Plane." If you don't change it to "Layer Size," the floor will extend infinitely in all directions, so there would be no edge for the particles to fall off.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Make particles fall off floor?
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:15:58 pm

[Andrew Vincent] "ould anyone tell me how to make particles fall off a floor in Adobe After Effects CS5.5? I've tried with both Particular and CC Particle World..I couldn't get it to work."

First, you must create, position, and rotate a solid as a 3D layer to use as your floor.

In Particular, set Physics > Physics Model to "Bounce." Adjust Physics > Gravity to taste, but it should be a positive value in order to pull the particles down. Set Physics > Bounce > Floor Layer to the 3D solid you created. Set Physics > Bounce > Floor Mode to "Layer Size" to allow the particles to spill over the edge. Set the Collision Event, Bounce, Bounce Random %, and Slide values to taste.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]