ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Motion Path via Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy RubinAfter Effects Motion Path via Illustrator
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:37:18 pm

I created a path in Illustrator that I brought into After Effects. I pasted it to a shape layer and created a mask. I then scaled and repositioned the path to the proper size inside After Effects. I was able to then generate a stroke along that path no problem.

However, when I then copy the mask path and try to paste it to a gen circle or gen flare effect,(I paste it to the effect's 'center') the path is automatically resized back to its original size and original position. Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to make sure the path is the right size/position inside Illustrator. I find this a pain because the great thing about vector is its scalability.

Any help much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects Motion Path via Illustrator
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:57:59 pm

Did you scale the path, the transform of the path, or the shape layer? If the first then I'm just as confused as you :(

Here's a work around though. Paste the path into your shape layer and into the position property of a null. Parent the null to the shape layer and then scale the shape layer as needed.

Now apply an expression to the center property so that it follows the null. Something like:

l = thisComp.layer("Null 1");

I can't test that expression right now but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved