ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D: Windows and MAC OS X

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John OBrien3D: Windows and MAC OS X
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:06:30 pm

I recently moved from a PPC AE 8.02 world into Windows 7 CS5.5.

I have been moving files from the MAC to the PC as needed. Minor problems have come up having to do with movie files mostly. Now I have a difficult problem to contend with.

In AE/8.02 MAC OS 10.5 I built a fairly complex Elevated track. The parts included supports, tracks, track bed etc. I photographed an O gauge track, built the supports from photos and the boardwalk between the tracks came from also from a photo. All are built in comps, pre-composed and set to obey the parent-layer camera. There are a large number of child comps that mostly replicate the repeated instances of the supports, track sections etc. All respond as expected in the MAC version.

In Windows, the functionality seems to decrease as I move away from the simplest comp. By the time the track system is placed in the parent street scene, it looks good but doesn't respond to the top level AE Camera at all. Everything animates around it while it remains stationery.

Within in just the complete track system itself, the track bed moves but not the supports.

I'm thinking that there may be a switch in the new AE5.5 that I'm missing. Or ???

All the *s are set to look "up" for the top layer cameras.

Thanks for you ideas.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3D: Windows and MAC OS X
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:34:32 pm

I'm not quite seeing your comp structure in my head despite your seemingly thorough explanation. Do all your precomps have a camera in them that's tied to the main camera? If so, is there a reason you didn't just enable collapse transformations on the precomps?

I don't suppose there's any chance of a project file we/I could look at, is there?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John OBrienRe: 3D: Windows and MAC OS X
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:10:10 pm

Michael: Here is a link to the file and a few images. Unfortunately its attached to a very large group of project files (60.mb) that I can't separate. IF you do decide to download- just note how the camera doesn't affect all the files in the tree of comps.

Just click through the missing fonts etc and the problem file should open.

Due to the size of the overall project file I won't blame you if you decide not to DL.

As I say, it works on the MAC but not W7.

A photo of the comp in the overall parent is included.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved