ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Crashes intermittent on "coming back" to AFX?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob WoodheadCrashes intermittent on "coming back" to AFX?
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 2:28:00 pm

Sounds strange, but that's how it feels.
On MacPro 10.6.8, 32GB RAM, 26GB assigned to CS, 2x quad core, CS5.5, ATI Radeon HD 4870.

I'll be working a dynamically linked comp, with AFX, PPro, PS, etc etc all open. Lots of ram free according to Activity Monitor. Nothing too taxing on the AFX side. I'll go away from it for a while, do some email, etc, come back to AFX, grab a slider or something, and BING, beachball followed by crash. Usually the "poof" crash, where no dialog follows. Or, I'll be dragging a slider with the Wacom pen, same thing, but I was already in AFX. This has happened on different projects, with different plugins, so can't find a correlation there.

It just seems to happen most (if not all) of the time when "coming back" to AFX from something else. Could it be something with the RAM? How to troubleshoot?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Crashes intermittent on "coming back" to AFX?
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 2:42:56 pm

If you haven't already, you should install the update to CS5.5 (10.5.1), and make sure your third-party plugins and capture card drivers are all up-to-date.

From Todd Kopriva's blog on 10.5.1 [link]:
We have also been working with several providers of plug-ins, codecs, and hardware devices to assist them in updating their software to fix some errors and crashes. Please take this opportunity to download and install updated codecs, plug-ins, and drivers from these providers, as relevant to your work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bob WoodheadRe: Crashes intermittent on "coming back" to AFX?
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 6:05:01 pm

Already there. Tried w/ OGL on & off. Changed # of CPUs and RAM available for AFX. Tried mouse only, not using Wacom.

It can happen when simply scrubbing the TL, or adjusting a value. Never happens during render or RAM previews. It can happen while not leaving app. It seems to be tied to user input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved