ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem animating paths from Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damian RiddellProblem animating paths from Illustrator
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:51:06 pm

I need some text to animate from a thin script font to another heavier script font, but the words stay the same. I built out my starting font & ending layout in AI and converted the text to paths. For each character I copied path data from AI to a solid in AE, but on playback the vertices will animate in the wrong direction, essentially flipping each path. I've posted an image below.

-I have 'set the first vertex' for both the starting & ending keyframes
-I have tried 'setting the first vertex' on a different position on the path
-I have attempted to reverse path in AI
-I have tried mask interpolation, including all 3 of the matching methods, 'use 1:1 vertex matches', & 'first vertex match'
-I thought that maybe the shapes were too complex and broke each character down into multiple basic shapes. I've posted an example of one below
-I made sure each character had the same number of vertices

What am i doing wrong here? Is there a way to map vertices beyond it's first? Or somehow reverse the order? The reverse order button in illustrator does not seem to translate into AE. I am running CS5. Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Damian RiddellRe: Problem animating paths from Illustrator
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:43:48 am

Ok, follow up: the Vertex order was reversed between the masks and AE doesn't seem to read AI's reverse order button. I found a script that will reverse the order:

Works like a charm now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved