ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer has weird ghosting - how to fix?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison McCaw
Layer has weird ghosting - how to fix?!
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:35:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem I can't figure out. I have a comp set up with a camera, light, and layers in 3d space. One of my layers is creating this weird "ghosting" and I can't figure out why or how to get rid of it. The ghosting extends beyond the boundaries of the layer, can't be masked out, and changing the material options did nothing. I have the layer soloed, so why would it do this?

Any ideas?!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Layer has weird ghosting - how to fix?!
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:59:57 pm

Do you have OpenGL on by chance? If so, turn it off and see if you still get the ghosting. Also, If you have 2 layers in 3d space that are in the same position on one of the axis this may occur. If you do, just make sure that they are .5 units apart.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:08:11 pm

Thanks for the response, but still having the problem. I have open GL off, and the layer is doing this weird gosting even when it's soloed. There are no other layers in the same z-space. (that was my first guess too)

Return to posts index

steve agriosi
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:36:33 pm

Ted's recommendation about 5 units apart at least is true.
Add an empty adjustment layer above and below of every 3d layer.
This way even if there is a crossing in Z space,
all the in-between adjustment layers will fix the problem.
Plus are you sure about the alpha of every layer?
Your 3d layer comes as psd file?
If yes, how did you import them ?
as document size or layer size?

cheers

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:39:22 pm

Thanks for the response. The thing is, the noise/gosting is still there even when the layer is soloed. no it isn't interescting with another layer. there is no alpha - it's just a .jpg.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:15:53 pm

If there isn't much to the project, could you collect the files, zip and upload here. I'll take a quick look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:07:29 pm

it was a huge project, so I deleted EVERYTHING except that one layer. and it still is acting weird. Thanks a lot for your help!!

3428_problemfile.zip

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:09:06 pm

3428_problemfile.zip

every time I try to post it doesn't appear to go through. sorry if there are duplicates!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:31:01 pm

just go through the comp hiding, then showing layers until you find the one that's causing the issue. once that layer is identified, if there are effects on that layer, go through and hide/show each effect until you find the effect that's causing the issue.

if you can't find a work around, report back with what you've found and we'll be able to offer better solutions.

from the looks of the noise, it looks like a bad key...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:36:54 pm

it does look like a bad key... but there is no key! it's just a layer in z space. I've identified the layer - it's the only one in the pic (the orange one)... no effects on it. I'm stumped!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:58:54 pm

drag the jpeg into a new comp (or just create a new comp the same size as the jpeg) and then create a new solid, make it orange if you want (if the jpeg is in this comp, you can delete/hide it).

then, back in the original/main comp select the jpeg layer. then option-drag (osx) or alt-drag (win) the new comp from the project window to the jpeg layer in the timeline.

is the noise still there?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:10:34 pm

hey I tried what you said (didn't know you coudl do that with the option-drag thing - thanks!) but the noise is still there!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:28:46 pm

Just to make things more crazy, I downloaded and looked at your project and the noise didn't show up for me.

I noticed the noise is transparency in your project, why not put a white solid back there and see if that gets rid of the problem. Also, render out a frame and see if the noise is in the render-perhaps it's just in the comp window display(have no idea why that would be though).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32:45 pm

interesting.... john, it seems you are on windows.

alison, are you on osx, and if so what version? i'm still on leopard -- osx 10.5.8.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:38:44 pm

Yes, I'm on windows, should have included that in my post. Wish I could help, but it's a bit difficult when you can't recreate the problem.

Good luck

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:26:36 pm

cs4 produces the same issue... as does using much smaller proxy images or images of another file type... the two workarounds i found earlier (disable dof, or enable 32bpc rendering) are the only two i've found... i guess a third is to use windows...

you could build your own crude dof using expressions and fast blur on all the layers that you want to respond to dof... i don't think it would be worth it for this, 32bpc rendering would most likely be faster than setting up expressions that set a blur level based on a given layer's distance from the camera...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:53:30 pm

I'm on windows 7... usually a mac user, but only have PC's at work :(

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:52:04 pm

I noticed it when I rendered... and in the whole comp (before I delieted everything) it wasn't on transparency - it was over a layer of video... although it only shows up when I'm viewing at full res - which is why I didn't notice before I rendered...

that's bizzare that it isn't there for you, though!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:30:51 pm

i looked at the project, and i can't explain the problem but i found two ways to get around the issue.

disabling dof for the camera fixed it, but if you need dof for the comp, then i also found enabling 32bpc rendering fixed it too.

i can't explain why its producing the noise, i haven't seen that before. i'm curious now, so i'm going to try and recreate the issue in cs4.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alison McCaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:55:45 pm

32 bit solved the issue! thanks so much, I knew one of you geniuses would find a solution!

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:59:39 pm

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on there, but Kevin Camp is right - it has something to do with DOF.

Using your problem file, I did find that it went away if you bump the aperature up to around 50.

Don't know what is going on there, but you should report it to Adobe as a possible bug.

-Kevin

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7