ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Only show even/odd Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas PfaffOnly show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:37:51 pm

Hi there! :)

I'm searching for a way (with expressions I guess) to only show odd/even Frames.
I have a Clip where I only want to have the even Frames (so only 0,2,4,6...). Not invisible in between, they simply need to be "removed", so the Clip will become half it's duration.
But I also need to have the same only with odd frames (so only 1,3,5,7,9...).

I just found an Expression where I can pass like every second Frame and on this way achieve what I want, but this doesn't fit me. I want to use Time-Remapping afterwards which won't work good when I have a Precomposition (I can not enable Pixelmotion anymore)

Any Ideas?
Best Regards

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Only show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:27:42 am

Don't overthink it: just speed up the footage to 2 times normal. Problem solved.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lucas PfaffRe: Only show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:41:11 am

Hi there Dave,

but how does that help?
I need to Interpolate the Frames in between :/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Only show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:08:02 am

You want the video to play twice as fast, correct?

You have no need to interpolate the video: simply play it twice as fast.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2011 at 8:35:39 am

No,

I first want to have only the odd and even frames from a certain Clip. When I have this, the logical matter is that the Clip plays twice as fast - but simply speeding it up won't bring this exact result.

Basically, I need a Solution to only get the odd and even Frames from a Clip! :/

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Only show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:53:46 am

are you try to preserve nested fps in comp, settings, advanced?
there's a checkbox there. also, here's some other ways to get half the frames. I've listed 5 ways. There's many more.

1. timestrech 50%

2. often pixelmotion needs footage to be precomped so that it can access the data.

3. Now, you can put the footage in half its fps comp and it will be choppy but fast because you're taking out every other frame.

4. Another way is time-posterize time at half fps.

5. also, if you use the effect strobe light duration 1/fps, period 2/fps. you can make different frames invisible.

6. timeremap and add this expression

f= timeToFrames();
p = Math.floor(f/1);
framesToTime(p*2
)

I have no idea why you'd want to interpolate the odd and even frames separately. Perhaps the end goal would give us a clearer picture why you are going this route...

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:26:45 am

But precompositions can not enable Pixel-Motion, the Switch is not accessable and if I right-click to enable it, it doesn't make a Difference.
I came across this Expression, and it is achievable with it, but then I need to Precompose: no Pixel-Motion.

The problem with most Effects is, you can not set the Startpoint of the Effect, so you get the odd OR the even Frames, but you can not chose. Unless you precompose and trim the Beginning, but then, no Pixel-Motion.

Imagine every second frame is exposed differently. So the odd frames are a bit dark, the even frames are bright. When I'm able to seperate the odd's from the even's, I could then interpolate the frames in between, so these the brighter and darker Clips will match again (with a bit of Ghosting, though).
Then I can make a "HDR" Movie out of this.
Therefore it's important I really need to seperate these, and be able to interpolate it (because if not, the both Clips won't match and are only half the framrate...).
You know? :)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Only show even/odd Frames
by on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:35:51 pm

[Lucas Pfaff] "But precompositions can not enable Pixel-Motion, the Switch is not accessable and if I right-click to enable it, it doesn't make a Difference.
I came across this Expression, and it is achievable with it, but then I need to Precompose: no Pixel-Motion."

You could pre-render [link] the decimated precomps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:11:28 pm

Didn't thought of that.
May be the best solution (at least when there isn't an Expression or something), even though I don't want to render before I'm done with everthing. But as said, maybe the best solution :/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]