ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Repeated Frames in Mp4v

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen joaquin
Repeated Frames in Mp4v
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:22:29 pm

Hi, i've been looking for help in this problem and coulnd't find anything so i'll just post it here and hope someone might help me a bit.

This is my problem:

I have After Effects Cs5 and i usually edit videos from Mkv's to do that i convert the Mkv's to mp4 with HandBreake with the default high settings.

I got no problem at all with the file in Sony vegas it makes it really laggie and slow but it's still fine. The problem is in After Effects

i use AE as my main editing program and when i try to edit the compressed h.264 mp4(mp4v) i get this strange issue i get some "repeated frames" for instance, one frame is repeated twice.

For example: "Frame 1 Frame 2 Frame 1 Frame 3 Frame 4 etc.. "

it dosen't happens in all the vid but in some parts. Reading i found that AE can't support h.264 compressed in mp4?

So i converted the file with xilisoft video converter to .mov but the final size is over 2 GB with the same quality, and the original file size is 311 MB and compressed to mp4 h.264 the size is the same with the same Quality.

My hardrive won't really be able to handle multiple videos of 2GB...

so my question is, is there any way to remove repeated frames or is there any way to fix that problem?

If not what is the best convert settings so i can get at least same quality with not a really massive file size. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Repeated Frames in Mp4v
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:54:57 pm

I see 2 major problems with your workflow:

1- AE is not an editing program. Use Premiere Pro or FCP or similar for that.

2- If you search for Dave's stock answers on this forum you will find out a good explanation of why h264 and the like are not necessarily the best choice for work in AE. Dave's advice, seconded by myself and many others is to convert the footage that you want to use in AE to a uncompressed format.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Dec 18, 2011 at 2:31:24 pm

ye i read it, and i undertand why that happens now, but still uncompressed format it's too huge for the quantity of video files i use... is there any way to convert them keeping the same size? or else have an 15% higher size but not an stupid file size like 2 GB like Xilisoft convert does...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:53:42 pm

If you are on a mac you can use ProRes, other than that try an MPEG 4:2:2 compression.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:44:46 pm

Do u know any software that would compress in MPEG 4:2:2 ?? Xilisoft for example?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:24:06 am

Y'know what could take care of a lot of your problems?
More storage. Heck, Office Max has 2TB external drives for $129.
Quicktime Pro 7 (Pro NOT QT X). Best 35 bucks most people spend in 6 months.
MPEG Streamclip: ideal because it's free.

Then you wouldn't have to fiddle around with all these off-the-wall codecs and get down to business.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:12:20 am

Yeah i'll do exactly what u said and get a TB Thanks for the help.!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]