ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple Illustrator paths to After Effects Solids with paths (or shape layers).

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josh johnson
Multiple Illustrator paths to After Effects Solids with paths (or shape layers).
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:30:02 pm

There must be a faster way of doing this!

Say you have an Illustrator document with multiple paths and you want to copy those paths and their fill colors to separate After Effects solids (or shape layers) all in one go.

Is this possible?
It seems like there must be a script somewhere that can do this or something ... I hope.

Thanks for reading,
Josh

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Multiple Illustrator paths to After Effects Solids with paths (or shape layers).
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:33:49 pm

Is there any reason you couldn't just bring in the Illustrator document as a composition? As long as everything is on its own layer it will come in as a separate layer in AE.

Return to posts index

josh johnson
Re: Multiple Illustrator paths to After Effects Solids with paths (or shape layers).
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:36:31 pm

I want to be able to animate all of the paths in After Effects.

Return to posts index

David Hobizal
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:03:03 pm

I'm also curious about this problem. And it sounds like it's more than simply bringing layers from AI into AE.

The problem I'm looking to solve is:

- I have PATHS inside of layers in AI,
- that I want to copy over to AE,
- and for those PATHS to exist on separate layers in AE, with retention of color, transfer mode, etc.
- So that I can animate the PATHS (as masks) in AE without having to create a new solid in AE, and copy and paste each PATH over from AI.

I've been doing this for years, but have always hoped there was some wizard out there that knew how to get there faster.

Thanks for posting this problem Mr. Johnson!

Return to posts index

josh johnson
on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:23:39 pm

HAHA!
That is dead on sir.

Return to posts index

josh johnson
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:21:39 pm

Still looking for a solution to this.
Does anyone have ideas?

Return to posts index

isaac quezada
on Mar 25, 2012 at 7:50:45 am

Well, struggling with the same issue I found this page http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/pasting_paths_fr... which wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it helped to give me an idea, shape color won't be exported, you'll have to do that manually, and as far as pasting several shapes, it's gonna require some manual work as well, first, you'll have to create a solid, then, copy your ai artwork, it will come out as masks in the same layer, but then you can duplicate it as many times as you need, then you'll have to select in each layer each but the mask you want to keep and delete them.

I'm amazed Adobe hasn't done anything about this, or in any case, anyone has figured out a script to do so, I'ts been 3 months ago, so this is what I came up, did you find a better solution or anything else mate?

cheers

Return to posts index

Caetano Veyssières
on Feb 12, 2014 at 4:52:52 pm

This script does the trick but it's not free:
http://aescripts.com/explode-shape-layer/

Or there is one faster way than duplicating n times and deleting all the paths but one for each layer.

You can do what Chris and Trish Meyer say in the page you found:
http://provideocoalition.com/cmg_keyframes/story/pasting_paths_from_illustr...

and then group each path (ctrl+G) individually, and now that every path is grouped you can transform and animate them individually by clicking on group > transform: Group

And if you want them to have different colors or other parameters, just select all the groups, then click on "add" on the right of "Contents" and select fill or contour or whatever you want and it will add the parameter to every group.

Of course, group several paths if you want them to have the same parameters and animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]