ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurence DykeProblem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:27:53 pm

Hi,

I have recently started working with AfterEffects and Twixtor - I am trying to create shot of a glacier flowing.

I started with 21 frames (taken once daily) with a Canon 50D of a large glacier in Greenland. The stills are 4752x3168. I imported the stills as a TIFF sequence and then I have simply applied TwixtorPro to the footage and slowed it down to 10%. The RAM Preview is pretty good, the glacier flows really smoothly - there are a few minor warps but nothing that can't be fixed.

However when I actually render the video it looks nothing like the RAM preview - It is hugely warpy, not just in the areas where there were minor problems, but all over the frame.

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong?

Comp settings are HDTV 25,
Twixtor Input Frame rate = 25.000,
Twixtor Display = Twixtored Output,
Frame Interp = Motion Weighted Blend,
Warping = Inverse w/smart blend,

Many thanks

Laurence Dyke

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:46:52 pm

The first thing that comes to mind: if it's on, turn Open GL acceleration for rendering OFF. Adobe employees don't use it, and neither should you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laurence DykeRe: Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:30:01 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the suggestion,

Open GL is OFF for rendering. I have included two screen shots showing what the footage should look and what it looks like when rendered.

The other thing that is perhaps worth mentioning is that the warping only happens during the middle of the clip the start and end are both smooth and unaffected.

Cheers

Laurence

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:35:57 pm

screenshot2011-12-16at15.41.34.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:02:05 pm

I just re-read your initial post.
Are you actually trying to slow your image sequence down by a factor of TEN? Twixtor's good, but it's not that good! You simply do not have enough information for Twixtor to make a proper interpolation of the in-between frames.

If it's at all possible, you really do need to re-shoot. Consider what you've done as a dry run. You now know how many frames you actually need to shoot for your time lapse. Considering it was shot in Greenland, that's not an attractive option.

Here's another option, probably the most attractive: change the frame rate of your image sequence. You probably have it set to 25 fps at the moment. There's nothing that says you can't change that frame rate to, say, 5 fps in the interpret footage settings. Or less, if you'd like. I'd start with 5 fps in a 5 fps comp, render the comp as a lossless movie, reimport, put the footage in a 25fps comp, and let Twixtor slow the footage down by a factor of two.

Yes, doing this will probably make the animation look like a sequence of stills, jumping from still to still. But here's the bottom line: you simply do not have enough frames for slow AND smooth. You have to work with what you've got.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:41:53 pm

Hi Dave,

Nice as though it would be unfortunately reshooting is not an option - I am trying to make the most of a sequence of photos that were taken for scientific purposes.

I have tried your suggestion and it works very nicely - thanks for your help with that. It has given me something useable to work with.

I know what I am attempting sounds ambitious but I can't help thinking that Twixtor should be able to handle it. The stills of the glacier are taken from over 4km away and the motion is ~30 metres a day. From one frame to the next the motion is very small and it is constant and in one uniform direction. I think Twixtor potentially has the capacity to handle it especially as the RAM preview is smooth and not warpy (viewed in full resolution). Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks

Laurence

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:31:21 pm

Are you saying that your RAM preview is fine, but the final render isn't?
Are you rendering at a different resolution than you're previewing? That might explain why your RAM Preview is fine, but the render isn't.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Problem Rendering Twixtor Output in AfterEffects CS5
by on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:21:28 am

usually i'd recommend rendering out higher than 10% and importing and re-rendering another slow pass, but you've done some extreme time lapse where objects travel a far distance in each frame.

You could try using an alternate source with unsharp, shadow/highlights bring down the highlights and add more saturation to help guide the frames and keyframe the twixtor settings.

If that fails, your only option left would be to try to hand guide the twixtored objects in vector mode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]