ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to know how to make this look better

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Turner
Need to know how to make this look better
on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:39:47 am

I am having trouble getting the look I want. I am trying to create a sonic distortion effect. This is how I did it in my video (which I will post up for you to see): duplicate layer, create solid, generate radio waves on solid, change color to black, distort bulge on dup layer, alpha track matte on dup layer. You can see how it turned out in the video. Let me know any better ways of doing this effect, or any other effects that you think might be good.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Need to know how to make this look better
on Dec 16, 2011 at 2:41:43 pm

Check out this tutorial: [link] It may give you some ideas.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:35:34 pm

You can use the radio waves with a blur on a solid layer to create a displacement map with a more organic look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John Turner
on Dec 17, 2011 at 4:14:25 am

Thank you guys for the advice. Is there anything else that I could add to this or any ideas for this series? I would love to have some input.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Dec 17, 2011 at 7:25:33 pm

Your effects sort of feel pasted on and not really part of the scene.

I might shrink your canvas a little bit and add a wiggle expression to your camera to make it look hand held. And then, when the energy and lightning effects hit, I would ramp up the shake.

The scene's lighting should change when blue energy enters the scene. Tinting part of the scene that color would help.

On a different note. I would move your camera angles around the room a little. The jump cuts are very disconcerting and confusing.

I know your intention is not to make a Hollywood caliber X-Men film, but I feel your piece still has very far to go to get the intended chuckle you want from people. Go to videocopilot.net and watch some of his tutorials on effects work. Pay close attention to the little details he focuses on, which in the end, sell the effects.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

John Turner
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:02:35 am

Thanks man, I'm about to shoot the first real episode of this, I'll make sure to take the advice. I'll post the next one up to let you all see if I have gotten better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]