ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Swapping audio / graphics / best practice?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve simonSwapping audio / graphics / best practice?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:36:26 pm

I'm trying to figure the most efficient way to edit a finished After Effects file that needs to have audio and images swapped out. Once the audio and images are changed, the animations that were previously created will no longer align to the new audio.

As it is, I have to move things piece by piece in the timeline to adjust animation to new audio. Is there an easy way to do this?

In Adobe Flash, the f5 key can be pressed to move everything in front of the time indicator ahead a key frame. This effects everything in the timeline, so all content is pushed ahead a frame. Is there a similar function in After Effects?

Or, is the best practice way to deal with this a matter of building a file in a certain manner?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Swapping audio / graphics / best practice?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:22:06 pm

Just move the layers forward or backward along the AE time line. Option-Page Up/Page Down (Mac) moves a layer by one frame for tweaking.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

steve simonRe: Swapping audio / graphics / best practice?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:03:06 pm

PERFECT! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Swapping audio / graphics / best practice?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:04:46 pm

Other tips for working with audio in After Effects:

Select your audio layer, and tap LL -- the 'L' key twice -- to reveal its waveform.

Preview audio in AE by hitting the period key on the numeric keypad. While AE is previewing audio, hit the asterisk key on the numeric keypad to add markers in real time.

To scrub audio in AE, hold down Cmd and Opt on a Mac (Ctrl and Alt on Windows) while dragging the CTI around the timeline. To scrub audio and video together, hold Cmd on a Mac (or Ctrl on Windows) while dragging the CTI.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved