ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best Way to Learn After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LeonardBest Way to Learn After Effects?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:48:22 am

So I'm wanting to ask for something this Christmas that will teach me After Effects, specifically CS5. What's the best way to go? I'm looking mainly at using it for for graphics, animation, and smaller editing-related things like greenscreening and picking individual elements out of a clip.

I'm thinking more of a DVD, program, or subscription to a website like I could go with a book, but I think I'd do better with something a little more interactive. What do you think?

EDIT: After trying their free demo for a bit, I'm leaning a little toward a Lynda subscription. Most reviews have said that their tutorials are bad for someone just getting into a program, but the demos for AE CS5 spent a whole 3-min lesson on how to import files. Any and all thoughts are still very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Way to Learn After Effects?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:30:24 am

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Adam LeonardRe: Best Way to Learn After Effects?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:42:51 am

Thanks for that. While I'll certainly be using a lot of things on that link between now and Christmas, I sorta right now have the rare opportunity to get a paid tutorial for free (as a gift) and want to take advantage of it.

So, to phrase my question a different way: What's the best gift to give to someone who wants to learn AfterEffects CS5?

Return to posts index

Moog GravettRe: Best Way to Learn After Effects?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:27:19 am

There's a ton of decent tutorials around, the two sites you need are The one right here and the aforementioned Video Co-Pilot. Both are just amazing.

When I learnt, I preferred to buy a book and just wade through it. Mainly because they're designed to give a nice learning curve through features and found it easier to resist the urge to run before I could walk :)

one like this perhaps?

good luck !

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Best Way to Learn After Effects?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:28:09 pm

The original Total Training VHS tapes. :D
Sort of kidding. However, I've yet to find anything that has as full detail as the Total Training for AE5 (not CS5) that I went through back in the day.

For modern stuff, this is pretty good: [link]

This also has some good resources: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved