ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Memory Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth GarberAfter Effects Memory Error
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:34:27 pm

I realize this has been asked before, but I still can't fix it. I get the error about After Effects not being able to allocate space. I have done edit -> purge -> all and I have created a disk cache and I've alloted more space for other programs (6GB). I have 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8GB of RAM. I have plenty of space on my hard drive for the file. It never even begins to render, it just immediately gives me the error. Why will this not begin to render?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects Memory Error
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:43:15 pm

8GB is not as much RAM as it used to be.

Turn off multi-processing, if it is on.

Allocating 6 GB for other apps only leaves 2 GB for AE. You might try allocating 2 to 4 GB for other apps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thomas HannenRe: After Effects Memory Error
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:59:23 pm

I used to get this continuously when I used AE in Windows XP. I moved to a mac (with admittedly more RAM and CS5 not CS4), and the problem never happens any more for me. Not an instant solution I realise, but maybe something to bear in mind next time you get the chance to buy a machine.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects Memory Error
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 10:40:02 pm

[Thomas Hannen] "I used to get this continuously when I used AE in Windows XP. I moved to a mac (with admittedly more RAM and CS5 not CS4), and the problem never happens any more for me. Not an instant solution I realise, but maybe something to bear in mind next time you get the chance to buy a machine."

I've got CS5.5 on both Macs and PCs with loads of RAM here, and they both work well. As you mentioned, 64-bit AE with a lot of RAM make the difference. I don't think this is not a platform problem.

There are plenty of good reasons to pick a Mac over a PC (and vice versa), but from my experience, I wouldn't say memory management in AE is one of them.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thomas HannenRe: After Effects Memory Error
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:01:47 pm

Should have mentioned - one way I used to get around it was this:

Quit AE
Quit all other apps, and end task on any non-essential processes that are running.
Restart AE
Export as an Image Sequence
If it crashes, go through the steps above (possibly rebooting the PC too), then carry on from the frame where you crashed.

If your sequence includes audio, then export that seperately as a WAV

Stitch it all back together using QuickTime Pro 7.

It's a right pain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]