ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Transparent backgrounds in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Benbow
Rendering Transparent backgrounds in After Effects
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:55:02 am

So I watched this tutorial on how to make a smoke effect, and I needed to export it for work. The catch was I couldn't get it to have a transparent backgroud, it was always a solid. I ended up doing a smoke animation in photoshop, but still want to see if I can export this animation with a transparent background so it can get overlayed onto something else.

What I did to make the smoke animation was...

Create a new solid layer (I'm thinking this is my problem..hence the word solid). Then I added particle playground and gave it a blur effect.

I've tried exporting it as an alpha png in render que, but it allways comes out as a solid.

Help? :)

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Rendering Transparent backgrounds in After Effects
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:47:11 am

Did you render RGB + Alpha? or only Alpha?

Return to posts index

Hannah Benbow
on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:54:04 am

Yeah I've tried both, and both times its given me a solid background behind the smoke.

I've also in the composition mode I've changed it to alpha and turned on "Toggle Transparency Grid"

When I turn on "Toggle Transparency Grid" it shows the transparent background how I want...I just can't get it to render like that.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Dec 9, 2011 at 1:45:57 pm

If you see the transparency grid then the render should be fine.

You won't see transparency until you composite the rendered with other footage either in After Effects or your NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]