ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

HD Video Camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher RotterHD Video Camera
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:10:40 pm

I have a open question. If one were to buy a video camera for occasional video recording in at least 720p HD video what would be the best recommendations in general ? Would any recommendations fall under $800.00 ? It wouldn’t be used often, I don’t think purchasing something expensive would be a wise choice. I have been suggested to only Rent, due to things change quite rapid and I won't be using it that much ?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: HD Video Camera
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:37:18 pm

For occasional 720p and under $800 I would recommend looking into a DSLR that can shoot video as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD Video Camera
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:12:43 pm

Since this is the After Effects forum, may I conclude that you'd use this camera to do effects work?
Motion tracking? Chroma keys, perhaps? If so, you might be better off renting than owning.

The reason: DSLR's don't reproduce colors PRECISELY. This means that the colors, while recorded accurately, have about 1/4 the resolution of the black & white stuff. Oh, it's good enough to fool the human eye, but not a computer. It's called color sampling or color resolution, and you see terms like 4-1-1 and 4-2-0 associated with bad color resolution.

Bad color resolution can make the process of pulling a good-looking key into a real ordeal.

If you need good color resolution, you should look for cameras that record at least at 4-2-2 color resolution. The now-humble Panasonic HVX 200 can do it. You easily can rent such a camera.

How 'bout the very best color resolution, 4-4-4? Think in terms of an Arri Alexa or a RED camera.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved