ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Annoying Lens flare, no alpha channel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BurkeAnnoying Lens flare, no alpha channel
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:48:40 am

Hey All so I built this Lens Flare Transition in AE but when I export it out w/alpha that stupid black solid stays in the BG, I am well aware how to solve this problem in AE (ie Screen Mode) but want to take this in Final cut PRO (not X thank you) and place as needed with an alpha matte, Unmult doesn't work, the lens flare becomes transparent and doesn't fill the transitions needs. Any Thoughts?

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Annoying Lens flare, no alpha channel
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:54:27 am

[Greg Burke] "I built this Lens Flare Transition in AE but when I export it out w/alpha that stupid black solid stays in the BG, I am well aware how to solve this problem in AE (ie Screen Mode) but want to take this in Final cut PRO (not X thank you) and place as needed with an alpha matte"

How about using FCP's screen composite mode? Ctrl-Click the clip in the timeline, then select Composite Mode > Screen from the context menu.

That said...

[Greg Burke] "Unmult doesn't work, the lens flare becomes transparent and doesn't fill the transitions needs."

You may run into this same problem using the screen transfer mode, too, if your flare isn't bright enough to blow out the other image and conceal your transition.

If you add a Levels effect after UnMult, set Levels to Alpha, and crank the Alpha Input White way down, you will get a much less transparent image. It won't composite as naturally, but it should cover the transition better.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Annoying Lens flare, no alpha channel
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:59:24 pm

Here's a thought: change your comp's background from black to the familiar gray checkerboard pattern found in Photoshop. Or change the background color to something other than black if you wish.

When you can't see the background any more, you'll know you'll have the opacity you seek.

But I have to tell you: you probably won't be able to get that really-bright-looking appearance of a lens flare in FCP from a single layer. You might have to use the footage twice: once as a alpha matte to cut the hole, and once in a blend mode to get the brightness normally associated with lens flares.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]