ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premiere Integration/Workflow Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Larson
Premiere Integration/Workflow Issues
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:19:19 pm

Hey guys so basically what I want to do is do all my editing (cuts/transisions/audio) in premiere then bring it over to after effects to do my color grading, visual effects.

What is the best way to do this without rendering back and forth. I've been messing around and so far the best way is to import the premiere project into after effects. The only thing I run into is that my transisions do not properly come over. For example when I have a dip to black, after effects just puts a black solid there that doesnt fade in and out. Also my audio transitions don't come over. Instead of a smooth fade between audio cuts, It just is a hard ugly sounding cut.

I've watched many tutorials on workflow. What I see is people wanting to export from after effects back to premiere. With every render, information is lost. I don't want this quality/information loss.

In a nutshell:
Premiere (with cuts and transitions and audio) > AE (Color/effects) > Premiere (Render and Finalize). No rendering from one to another.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Premiere Integration/Workflow Issues
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:25:27 pm

If you use Dynamic Link (right click on a clip in Premiere and open as a comp in AE) to work on shots from Premiere in AE and then go back to Premiere there's no need to render unless you want real time playback. That being said, if you render uncompressed, you will not loose any quality.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kurt Larson
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:28:14 pm

yeah i know about the dynamic link. the only problem is that i can only do one clip at a time to bring over. if i select all of them, it puts the clips into one compressed comp so i can't make edit changes after the fact.

is there a script for dynamic link that lets me select all and comp them yet keep them seperate? if i have 200 cuts... i dont want 200 compositions in after effects...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 8, 2011 at 7:37:50 am

I haven't done it in a while so I can't remember exactly, but I think if you open a Premiere project in AE it will open the sequence with all cuts separated - you will have transition issues though. You can cut each segment of your piece in separate sequences and make it more manageable to link maybe.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gleb Rysanov
on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:59:17 am

[Kurt Larson] "is there a script for dynamic link that lets me select all and comp them yet keep them seperate? if i have 200 cuts... i dont want 200 compositions in after effects..."

Kurt, have you tried copy-paste? You will still have problems with transitions, but all your cuts will be in the same AE comp, if that's what you're after.

Return to posts index

Kurt Larson
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:21:23 pm

Thank you guys for taking your time to help me.

I have done the copy and paste method and the premiere porject import. The premiere project is so far the closest to what I'm looking for. Then again those darn transitions is whats messing everything up. If I try to bring my after effects stuff back into premiere I also get problems there (ie. Adjustment layers dont exsist/work in premiere, and many effects dont correspond like curves which is a big one I use.)

I know I can make custom transitions in AE. Are there stock transition that I can just drag and drop and mess with the parameters?

What about a .XML? I know it's mostly used for final cut, but will it take care of the transition problem?

Return to posts index

Gleb Rysanov
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:02:57 am

[Kurt Larson] "What about a .XML? I know it's mostly used for final cut, but will it take care of the transition problem?"

Not sure about XML implementation in PPro, but I once used this to export cuts from Vegas to AE and everything worked like a charm, including transitions (though in my case those were limited to fades in/out). I also recall that I read somewhere on the docs that XML only supports linear interpolation (this may mean that some complex animated transitions may not transfer properly).

On the other hand, its strange to hear that CC tools like curves do not work, as it's pretty much common workflow to color correct and grade in AE and then send things back to PPro. Make sure you have same version of the both pieces of software. Another reason may be that PPro is working in native YUV color space while AE is pure RGB application which may cause slight shifts in chroma and luma levels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]