ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen CurryConvert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:50:34 pm

Ive been searching the net to see if there's a tutorial on converting normal rate video shot with a camcorder into a Time-Lapse look. Basically a faux Time Lapse

On one forum someone posted that it would be easy to do with AE's time remapping and frame blending BUT in true fashion doesn't explain how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steph

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:37:38 pm

Check out the Posterize Time effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20:08 am

And beyond Dave's suggestion, if Posterize Time isn't smooth enough, 3rd party plugins such as Twixtor and Kronos by The Foundry can do some amazing frame rate slowdowns which compare pretty favorably to high-speed cameras.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Stephen CurryRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:35:21 am

thanks for the posts guys but I was hoping for some guidance on how to actually go through the process. I've never actually used these effects within AE and Im not sure how....

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:57:07 pm

What, exactly, are you trying to do? Time Lapse is just sped up footage. Are you wanting to make your footage go faster?
If so, you can do it with Time Remapping. Just read up on how to use Time Remapping here: [link] It even has links to video tutorials!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:05:31 pm

Oops. Once again, I get the terms "time lapse" and "stop motion animation" confused. My Posterize Time trick is useless. As you state, Michael, Time Remapping is a better choice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:33:28 pm

well my understanding of time-lapse is that the images are shot at certain intervals...(ie every 1 sec) which is then done over a long period of time.

but with my current normal video shooting 30 images/frames every 1 sec I need to somehow extract every 30th image.... speeding up the video I dont think would give it the look im after it would just making it go faster....which you can do now with Time>Time Stretch

Ive never used Time remapping so I was looking for a tutorial on how to do it correctly

Sorry if this isnt very clear...

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:49:26 pm

You're right, it isn't all that clear. What do you wish to accomplish:

#1:
Show your 30fps video, but show only 1 frame of it every second? Things still take place in real time, it's just that you see the action frozen for a second, then you proceed to another still frozen during the next second, and so on.

#2:
Take a picture once every second, then play them back at 30 fps, creating a movie that's 30 times faster than normal?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:19:36 pm

OK the impetus for this whole question is this...Canon use to make a camera a few year back that would take Time-lapse video...basically by automatically taking a shot every sec or so...(Canon SD790 IS)...however, their newer models no long have this feature and I was wondering if I could "recreate" within AE

#1:
Show your 30fps video, but show only 1 frame of it every second? Things still take place in real time, it's just that you see the action frozen for a second, then you proceed to another still frozen during the next second, and so on.

no, showing only 1 frame of it every second would be just a long boring video... :-)

maybe if I explained it like this

I know this is obvious and Im not trying to sound patronizing so bear me out and maybe I can explain it better...

A. when you film you are continually taking images (30 every sec)...

B. when you film in time lapse you are filming the same scene but only taking a shot once a sec...(so you get the stop motion look and feel)...

You film over a long period of time but what you ultimately get is a short video on the camera's SD Card because it was filmed at only 1fps instead of the normal 30fps (so filming for an hour in time lapse would only give you a 2min long video)

So what Im trying to ask is if it's possible, within AE, to automate the procedure and take take every 30th frame from that 60min long video and make it into a 2min time lapse video

(My Math)

60min video would be (60min * 60sec) = 3,600sec long video.
3,600 sec * 30fps = 108,000 individual frames in the 60min video.
take those 108,000 frame and pull out every 30th frame = 3600 individual frames. 3,600 / 30 = 120frame = 2min

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:24:21 pm

I think you're overthinking this whole thing. I have five whole American Dollars that say an older professional-grade, yet perfectly-fine Canon still camera able to take a still picture once a second can be had for a song on the internet.

Then you can do what you want to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:13:52 pm

Yes, time lapse is generally taking pictures at an interval and then playing them back at the standard frame rate.

The thing is, all that's really doing is making fast-motion video. Speeding your video up is doing the exact same thing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Marco RosalesRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:12:58 pm

OK guys I'm going to try to resurface this topic because I'm looking for exactly the same thing and perhaps Stephen is not using the best example with the one second photo. We have all seen videos of a flower grow right. They show the process from germination to full flower. Now to do this let say for example that the flower takes 10 days to grow (this is just an example I don't really know how long it takes for a flower to blossom but stay with me...) so I would set my camera to take still images at an interval of lets say an hour so at the end of the 10 day process I would have 240 still images. If I then convert the stills to a 30 fps video I would have the Blossoming flower process in just 8 seconds.

So, and I'm hoping you are still with me, lets say I have a very high capacity video camera that can record 10 days of video of the same flower process and I wanted to get the same 8 second video time lapse effect, I would have to remove all the frames in between each hour of video to have only 240 frames at the end.

So, long explanation but I hope you guys see what I mean, is there some software that you know of that given a video can remove frames for a specific interval so as to get a time lapse still image effect?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:29:43 pm

Sorry, no.

Besides, it would be a waste of good recording media to try what you seek with a video camera. It isn't the proper tool for the job. A still camera is the proper tool for the job.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:15:19 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems to me that you guys are reading the question too literal! the 10 day video was just an example to illustrate the point.

Yes, there is a proper tool for everything but sometimes you don't have those tools. I ran a race this past weekend with a video camera on my helmet and it lasted 35 minutes so If I wanted to get a 2 min time lapse effect I would have taken 3600 still images at a 17.5 sec interval (provided I want to display 30fps). In any case too much math !

Thanks anyways...

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:42:34 pm

[Marco Rosales] "Yes, there is a proper tool for everything but sometimes you don't have those tools. "

Nor do you necessarily have a tool that would eliminate a designated number of video frames. I know of none, unfortunately.

[Marco Rosales] "In any case too much math !"

I'm afraid that's heart and soul of time-lapse photography. Here's a link to probably the best online source for time-lapse information:
http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/index.php

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:48:58 pm

Thanks Dave. I cant remember now but I had a data recovery disc tool that would recovered video files as individual frames which sounds kind of crazy but I would use to do just that. This was a long time a go and cant remember but, oh well...

thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:29:27 pm

Hi Marco,

I've never found a solution to this but we have the same issue/desire that we are trying to achieve. It would be nice if there was some sort of expression you could type that simply tells AE to display/render every X frame.

The guy who say its just a matter of speeding up the footage I don't think fully understands time-lapse or maybe its just me who doesn't understand.

From all the time-lapse footage I've seen; (i.e. people in a train station lets say) the person being filmed may be next to a phone booth in one frame and then several feet away in the next frame and so forth...speeding up your normal footage doesn't do that IMO. It still shows the entire progression of the person, just faster. time-lapse gives the appearance of a person almost sliding/hopping/jumping from one position to the next.

Also it seems the people on the forum are asking us to use a still camera to make our time lapse footage (as its meant to be) but that's not the issue. I/we are trying to convert normal footage and give it a time lapse feel and appearance. Its like someone telling you to just go dig for real gold when all you want is gold plating

What we're trying to achieve could be done manually by rendering out your footage as individual images and then importing back in every 10th/20th/30th image (of your choice) back into AE and rendering just those images into a new video file....but who wants to spend all that time doing that...

That's why I asked if there was a plug-in/expression/trick of the trade that could do the tedious stuff.

I found this AE template:

http://videohive.net/item/stop-motion-photo-slideshow/1116243

In this template the author seems to have managed to give his video the look that I want and when I asked him how he did it he mentioned that he used the time posterize effect...but Ive haven't messed with it yet to see.

Return to posts index

Vladas LitvinasRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:46:47 pm

I ran into the same problem. I've got a 2 minute video footage of food being prepared, but my client wants to see it in time lapse.

That's my workaround that yielded very good results, even if a bit time consuming.

1. I exported the video as a *.tga image sequence. Jpeg would also do, but didn't want to loose too much quality.

2. Next is happening in the mac finder. In the folder with all the images, I selected icon view and arranged all the images so that I would have 12 images in a row. Then manually selected all the columns except the first one and deleted. This way I was left with the IMG_0001; IMG_0012; IMG_0023; IMG_0034..... That's my timelapse image sequence.:)

3. Premiere pro wouldn't import them as a sequence though, cause they're not sequentially numbered. That's where after effects import command came in helpful, it allows you to force alphabetical order, which was what I needed to play the new image sequence properly.
Then exported the image sequence from after effects again. This way I could import the timelapse into premiere pro!
*A simple file renaming program would be much more efficient here, but just didn't have time to look for one on the web.

All the process of converting a 2min vid(HDSLR, fullHD) to a 10sec timelapse took me about 10min, including the rendering times.Hopefully this helps if you need a quick workaround.

Return to posts index

Alan JohnstonRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:55:52 pm

Guys - I had a similar requirement to make a very quick time lapse type video from a source 2 minute clip. All I did was 2 simple steps:

1. apply the AE posterise time effect and set the frame rate down to 1

2. on the layer apply time > time stretch > stretch factor 5%

This gave me a 6 second time lapse of the original 2 minute clip.

May not be "real" time lapse but it gives a pretty good result.

Alan

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:26:45 pm

thanks Alan

that maybe what we've been looking for...I havent tried it yet though...

thanks for this info thou

Steph

Return to posts index

Mark BucklandRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 4:50:31 pm

Will this work?

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/create_timelapse_videos_with_imovie_hd_6.ht...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2012 at 7:57:40 pm

Yea looks like that software does exactly what Im asking for...although I dont own a Mac.

not sure if I understand their explanation on their site....do they have the camera attached to their laptop and then the software only allows an image to be recorded at XX frame rate as they go along for 24hrs or did they film all night and day and THEN the software just grabbed every 30th frame from the ginormous video file?

Return to posts index

John CrockettRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on May 29, 2012 at 5:24:03 pm

I'm sorry, I can no longer sit still and read these incredibly unhelpful posts without replying.

Yes I'm taking it personally because I need the exact thing that is being requested in this thread, so I am incredibly frustrated by replies like this one.

I ALREADY HAVE a video...that I shot with a DIGITAL video camera (Waste of good media???!?!? wtf?!?!? are you talking about the re-arranged electrons on the hard drive inside my cam?!?!?!).

Now...what I need is to EXTRACT every hundredth frame from the video that I have ALREADY SHOT, to create a shorter video, showing a process that took several hours (in "real" time), in about 30 seconds.

Advice such as, "You used the wrong kind of camera. You should buy the right kind of camera and they're really cheap on the internet" is UTTERLY, RIDICULOUSLY - - - U S E L E S S - - - to me (and to the poster who started this thread). Pleas do not offer such advice.

Just in case I have not been completely clear: I have a video that is too long and too slow. I want to use this video as the basis from which I create a new video that shows the same scene (recorded subject) but is only 30 seconds from beginning to end.

Here's my final suggestion: If you have read my message and you do not understand what I am asking for ...or... if you think I've done something wrong and you want to tell me how to do it right...DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I been clear enough?

For those who find this message offensive and condescending, but do not have a cogent answer to my question... tap your mouse and move on.

For those who find this message funny and have an answer that might be helpful to me...THANK YOU!!!!!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:23:35 am

looks like somebody may have read my post....maybe this will help me and others as well

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/create-a-simple-stop-motion-style-for-...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:18:51 pm

[John Crockett] "I have a video that is too long and too slow. I want to use this video as the basis from which I create a new video that shows the same scene (recorded subject) but is only 30 seconds from beginning to end.

If you have read my message and you do not understand what I am asking for ...or... if you think I've done something wrong and you want to tell me how to do it right...DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I been clear enough?"

Oooh, anger management issues!

Depending on the original time of the clip, you easily can use Time remapping to get it to the desired length. Typically, it works best if you speed up the clip by integer factors: 200%, 300%, 600%, etc. To put it a different way, this trick works best if the clip ends up 1/2 as long, 1/3 as long, 1/6 as long, etc.

The reason for using these integer values: the the space between the frames you actually see remains consistent, so the sped-up motion remains consistent.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Scott BethelRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 8:33:28 pm

This is not correct. Speeding up your video is NOT time lapse nor will it look like time lapse - try it side by side and you will see.

Time lapse is missing frames - usually a LOT of them. Speeding up footage that contains ALL the frames will look very different. There is just no way around that.

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 21, 2015 at 12:56:37 am

How is speeding up footage without frame blending any different temporally speaking?

If you speed up your footage playback without frame blending then you are literally doing the same thing: throwing away frames.

I wish I'd seen this thread when it started, could've put the fire out then :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John CrockettRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Jun 2, 2012 at 1:00:20 am

I know this is technically an After Effects forum, but I found an answer that works...HandyAVI.

A 10-day free trial can be downloaded from http://www.azcendant.com.

It only works with AVIs, but conversion from one format to another is not very difficult. I had to convert the .mpg that my camera records to AVI, and then for kicks I converted my time-lapse AVI back to .mpg. Worked like a charm.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Return to posts index

Dmitry PavlovskyRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:41:54 am

I signed up for this forum just so that I can provide my findings on this issue...
Right off the bat, let me just state that I'm using Sony Vegas 10 and not Adobe After Effects. BUT, I was having a similar issue and stumbled on this forum and saw all the frustration. Eventually I did locate a solution specifically for Sony Vegas. I will post it below and the link to the site. Don't know much about Adobe After Effects, but maybe there are some similarities, and this may help:

With the Event Velocity envelope you have full control over the playback rate of your video and you can create great effects with it.

Right-click the first event and choose Insert/Remove Envelope | Velocity from the pop-up menu. A green line appears through the middle of the event. If you're familiar with other envelope lines (like Volume or Composite Level), you'll be familiar with the tools related to the velocity envelope too. If you don't have experience with envelope tools in Vegas Pro software, don't sweat it; they're easy to learn.

Notice that the envelope line has a point at the beginning. Drag that point all the way to the top of the event. As you do, a ToolTip indicates the new velocity of the event. You also see that indentations begin to appear the faster you make the video. With the Event Velocity envelope, you can speed the video up 300%. (If you also change the event's playback rate to 4.0, meaning 400%, you can set the actual playback rate to 1,200% which is the playback rate of four times faster sped up by the 300% increase in speed caused by the event velocity envelope.)

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/controlling_velocity_in_vegas_pro

Return to posts index

Aldo PorrettaRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:34:56 am

Hi all, Sorry for my English, my mother tongue is Italian and translate with google.
I have read all your post because I too have had the same requirement.
I solved with Adobe premiere, but I think it also goes by other editing programs.
My solution was quite logical because if you freeze a frame every 25 seconds (25 fps PAL system) I get a vision of itself for a second.
It would be very boring to see a 2-minute video in this way and I would see only 120 frames in 2 minutes (1x120).
If I multiply x 25 times the running time I always get my 120 frame but in a time of 4.8 seconds.
In doing so we have a time lapse effect as if capturing 1 frame per second.
Method with Adobe Premier Pro with PAL video at 25 fps:
1) video effect "posterize time" = 1
2) video effect "speed / duration" 2500% (25x100)
Of course no need to say, the two efects on the same video clip.
if you use the NTSC system moltipilatore factor is 30 (30fps).
Let me clarify that this is fine if we have a video of 30-60 minutes,
but if you have to make a video as long as 6-10 hours is recommended that a machine with recovery at time interval,otherwise we would have a waste of support for recording.
I hope I have been of help to someone or everyone.
Regards Aldo.

Return to posts index

Bella GavelinRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Oct 19, 2013 at 12:25:42 pm

I just have to say, to save ppl time when they are searching for a helpful and easy answer to this (as I just was) that posterize time, setting to 1fps and then speeding the clip up works just fine!

bella

Return to posts index

by on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:33:42 pm

Thanks Bella I think your suggestion was exactly what I was looking for.

Dave....I appreciate your input but I really dont think you understood the question and your posts only confused the matter and frustrated people.

For those looking for a final answer I used Bella process in this way.

STEPS (sorry dont know all the tech names for the various 'area' of AE)
(the settings may differ on video shot at higher or lower frame rates. My example is from a 60/fps video clip)

1. brought/imported/dragged my video into AE. [Project window]
2. from the [Project window] I clicked and dragged the icon of my video clip down to the 'film clip icon' (otherwise known as the comp icon) at the bottom of the [Project window] and had AE create a new comp with the default configuration of the video itself.
2b. the video is now listed as a line item in the [comp timeline window] (most people have this as the bottom most window within AE)
3. from the [comp timeline window] I selected and highlighted my video
4. then went to the [Effects and Presets window] and searched for 'Posterize Time'
5. from the [Effects and Presets window] I click and held on the 'Posterize Time' effect and dragged it onto the view of my video in the [playback window] OR you can click and drag the effect to the line item of your video in the [comp timeline window] (in this case line item #1) and release.
6. Once the effect is applied I went to/opened the [Effect Controls window] and set the Frame Rate option to 1.0fps
7. then went back to line item #1 in the [comp timeline window] that contains my video and clicked to highlight it
8. with the video highlighted, I RIGHT clicked on the 'column header bar' and from the drop menu I selected Columns>Stretch.
8b. This should created a new column labled 'Stretch' above you line items in the [comp timeline window]
9. then from the new column of Stretch I double clicked the 100% and changed it to 50% (or lower if need be) to speed up the clip

you may need to tweak things for your own preferences....

I found this to work very well in doing what I was after.

Thanks Bella...Wish you had answered long ago.....

Return to posts index

Ray SadlerRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 2:20:46 pm

THIS! This is the answer to the question. Up vote. Plus 1. Promote this.

Return to posts index

Khursheed FatehRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 7:58:18 am
Last Edited By Khursheed Fateh on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:19:48 am

1) Select Clip in timeline
2) Use following method (a) or (b)
(a) From Menu (on top of after effects window) select "Layer / Time / Time Stretch..."
(b) Right click on clip and from Shortcut Menu select "Time / Time Stretch..."
3) A window will pop-up with title "Time Stretch".
4) Here you can change length of clip in two ways.
(I) By entering value for "Stretch Factor" in %. Give value less then 100 for "Fast forward" and value more then 100 for "Slow motion".
(II) By entering value for "New Duration" in actual time. Reduce time for "Fast forward" and increase time for "Slow motion".

**In your case try giving value of 3.33 %.

(f/nf * 100) %
f = No of equally distant frames required from nf (I am using 1)
nf = No of frames per second (I am using 30)

=>(1/30*100) %
=>3.33333 %

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:18:00 pm

Thanks for the post Fateh but all that does is slow down the footage...its doesnt give it the choppy time lapse effect.

Return to posts index

Khursheed FatehRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Feb 9, 2014 at 3:37:00 pm

No. I do not think so. I posted my answer after testing and I just tested it again :)
If fps of input and output clip is same you will get the required effect using method described by me.

If fps of input clip is 30 and fps of output clip is 60 and you shrink your input clip to 50% using time stretch method then you will get all frames of your input clip in your output clip and get fast forward effect. etc.

kFateh

Return to posts index

Alyssa BarrettRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on May 27, 2014 at 5:31:05 pm

I got bored of reading through all the comments, so maybe someone said this already, but you can also put this expression on time (after enabling time remapping):

nthFrame = 2;
fps = (1.0/thisComp.frameDuration) / nthFrame;
posterizeTime (fps);
value

In this case I had it skip every other frame, but you would change nth frame to get your desired result. Pretty sure this does the same thing as posterize time which people have mentioned above, but just another option. I found this online after some searching after a sequence of over 2000 images were only labeled in even numbers. When I brought that in as an image sequence I would get the "missing media" error for every other frame since I had no odd numbered images. I understand the question here is related to video and not image sequences, but I'm thinking this would work pretty much the same. I'm no expressions expert, so I'm not 100% positive what's going on here, but it worked for me for my problem. Maybe it will work for someone else on here! Just thought I'd share!

Return to posts index

Matthew TallmanRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:49:45 pm

Wow. According to the time stamps in this thread, you all have been arguing for 3 years....does anyone see the irony in that, as it relates to "time lapse"? :)

Return to posts index

Steve KasianRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 8:13:50 am

lol! This was an awesome thread. Oh the irony! ;-)

Well, to me the funniest thing here is this insistence that "time lapse" is defined specifically with <1 image per duration of time> as it's standard... when, in fact, it simply means speeding up a recorded scene.

When working with video footage, "speeding up" the footage makes the software automatically calculate which individual images it needs to create the final video footage. It's the exact same thing, except the computer is doing all the work for you. ;-) No difference!

So speed up your video footage all day long!! And you'll really, truly be creating genuine "proper" Time-Lapse Photography!!! :-D

Return to posts index

by on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:00:50 pm

OK then maybe the terminology used was inaccurate.

maybe its more a stop-motion effect that is what is being looked for.

but what I and others have been seeking is a way to duplicate a visual effect, (possibly with a script) where you can designate that AE pull every X frame from a video clip to create this effect.

Return to posts index

Jesse McAllisterRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 12:54:54 am

This thread is too complicated.

I will *try* to simplify.

Let's clarify some things:
1) Time-lapse and stop-motion are not the same, although they are similar in effect.
2) Time-lapse is combining a set of frames taken at an interval into a video, when played at normal speed it gives the effect of time passing quickly. Events between frames will appear to be skipped.
3) The primary concern of this thread is to provide the effect of time-lapse using a video as a source.

The confusion:
Many replies have included the suggestion of time remapping, or a similar effect. This is the correct answer, although if you are not aware of how this works, it can seem confusing or even provide an undesired effect if done incorrectly. The undesired effect is that the original video will be sped up, you will still see all of the original frames and will not get a time-lapse (appearance of time skipped between frames).

Let's explain the confusion:
A 2 minute video recorded at 30 frames per second (FPS) has 3600 frames (2 minutes * 60 seconds * 30 frames per second).

If you remap time incorrectly, it's possible you will play 3600 frames over 1 minute, this would result in a 60 second video played at 60 frames per second (60 seconds * 60 frames per second = 3600 frames). The video will still display all of the frames from the original video at a faster speed, which is not the desired effect.

If you remap time correctly, you will play less frames at the same frame rate. This means you will skip frames, action between frames will be missing and you will get the desired effect. If you remap time from 120 seconds at 30 frames per second, to 60 seconds at 30 frames per second, the resulting video will skip every other frame. This may not be as aggressive as you want, so let's remap time from 120 seconds at 30 frames per second to 15 seconds at 30 frames per second. Instead of playing 3600 frames over 120 seconds, we'll play 450 frames over 30 seconds, skipping every 8th frame. (Note that the software removes the frames for you, so you just need to use some basic math if you want a specific interval)

Most editing software allows you to re-map time, you must pay attention to the options and ensure the frame rate (frames per second) remains the same before and after remapping time. You will also want to ensure any form frame blending is disabled, or you will get time-lapse with a weird transition between frames.

Thanks to Michael Szalapski, Alan Johnston, Dave LaRonde, Darby Edelen, Dmitry Pavlovsky, Bella Gavelin, Khursheed Fateh, Alyssa Barrett and Steve Kasian for providing the right answers.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 3:50:32 am

Thank you,

you have accurately articulated exactly what I want and what Ive been asking for from the beginnings of this thread.

However, I wish to be able to do this in AE and I am not sure how to do this and was hoping for a step by step guide.

It seems it would be a simple operation but just not an obvious one to people such as myself who know enough about AE to tweak some things but otherwise not very proficient.

Thanks again
Stephen

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 1:49:02 pm

The process for After Effects has been described in a number of posts, use the Posterize Time effect.

For a step by step guide, here is a video demonstrating the process: https://vimeo.com/44574403#at=82. The narrator describes this incorrectly as a stop motion effect, again the effects are technically different but can easily be confused.

The sample material used in the video doesn't demonstrate the effect perfectly, but it is the common way to skip frames in a video giving you the time lapse effect.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 1:53:28 pm

Correction: "Instead of playing 3600 frames over 120 seconds, we'll play 450 frames over 30 seconds, skipping every 8th frame"

Should read: "Instead of playing 3600 frames over 120 seconds, we'll play 450 frames over 15 seconds, skipping every 8th frame"

I accidentally typed 30 instead of 15, it doesn't alter the point, just incorrect math.

Return to posts index

Joseph EuloRe: Convert normal rate video to Time Lapse look
by on Dec 29, 2016 at 7:36:23 am

How to Convert a Video into a Time Lapse from Northwest Films on Vimeo.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2016 at 2:59:58 pm

Thanks Joseph, thats a great work around using another product.

Still seems to me that the brains at Adobe could come up with some sort of script or built in tool that allows you to tell AE to pluck out every 12 frame from a video clip and voila there's your faux timelapse.

Seems a super simple concept to me, but go figure.

Thanks again for the great idea.

Steph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]