ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to link effects to a layer in a diffrent composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Eriksson
How to link effects to a layer in a diffrent composition?
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:45:47 pm

Hi, this is my first post at Creativecow but i had such use from the formus over the years.

My problem/what i try to achive.

Im making a clip whit a controlable reversed shatter effect that have particle effects linked to each shard. The problem is that i have 260 shard layers whit 260 indivudual linked particle layers bound to each one.

What i would like to do is gather all the Illustrator files (the shards) in one precomp and still be able to link my particle layers to them so i can split the text and the particles for compositing colorgrading and so on.

Anyone know how to do this; Link a layer to a layer, thats in an other compasition.

Thx for you time
Emil Eriksson.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to link effects to a layer in a diffrent composition?
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:57:00 pm

yep, you just need to specify the composition and the layer that you are linking to...

so if you were linking the position of an emitter in 'comp 2' to a shard in 'comp 1', the expression for the emitter position would look something like this:

comp("Comp 1").layer("Shard 1").transform.position

you can also have multiple timelines open (just drag one above or bellow the current timeline) and then use the expression pickwhip to link things from one comp to the other.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Emil Eriksson
Re: How to link effects to a layer in a diffrent composition?
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:40:19 pm

Thx for the fast answer will try this out tommorow at work, but a light went up when i read the text. Thx!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]