ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Relinking a clip dynamically linked from Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Relinking a clip dynamically linked from Premiere Pro?
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:22:19 pm

Hi there. I have been working with dynamic link between PP and AE. I start out in Premiere and am creating a sequence with a bunch of subclips made from the same clip in my project window. It's a 35 minute clip, and I've taken clips within that clip and added in and out points to them. So basically every individual clip in the timeline has the same name since they come from the same source.

Several of the these clips I needed to 'replace with After Effects composition', which I did. However, when cleaning up my computer, I moved some of the source files to a new location as well as the Premiere Pro project. Normally, if say, a file is missing, you can replace or reload the footage from the file itself. However, the missing item is a subclip of the original clip set with in and out points in Premiere. How do I locate this original subclip from within AE? The 'reload' and 'replace' options only lead me as far as the Premiere project file, and the original file the subclip is derived from, but I can't find or choose the subclip itself to relink it. If anyone could help me with this problem, I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks a million!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Relinking a clip dynamically linked from Premiere Pro?
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:30:36 pm

Ouch. Do those subclips exist in any sort of a folder? If not, you're sunk.
If you can find them, you stand a fighting chance... but short of trial and error, I can't think of a good way to do it.

I bet next time you'll get your folder organization squared away BEFORE you start the heavy lifting, yes?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:40:31 pm

Haha, well, I usually do organize my files before I start doing complicated stuff, I'm just used to being able to relink things later if I need to, but I didn't realize subclips were different. Now I know for next time. Fortunately there are only a few clips and they should be easy to recreate. Or, what if I moved the files back to their original location? I will try that and see if it helps. If not, no biggie, but I know what (and what not) to do in the future.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:55:43 pm

Returning the files to their original folder location worked. Fortunately I was able to remember where they were. New rule: no moving files around after dynamically linking subclips from Premiere Pro.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:10:35 pm

[Jake Huddleston] "Returning the files to their original folder location worked. Fortunately I was able to remember where they were. New rule: no moving files around after dynamically linking subclips from Premiere Pro."

I highly recommend laying out your folder structure ahead of time. For example:

-PROJECT
----Assets
--------Audio
--------Stills
--------Vector
--------Video
----Deliverables
--------Approvals
--------Finals
----Project Files
--------AE
--------Pr
----Renders

This is a made-up-on-the-spot example; think about the work you do and plan your own structure accordingly.

Every time you start a new project, simply duplicate the blank folder structure in Finder or Explorer and rename the PROJECT. File everything as you work. Never, ever, ever use a temporary location for even a single file. Everything always goes in its proper place.

If you get in this habit, you can easily archive and restore old projects, you will never have a problem with disconnected media, you can bounce back and forth from one project to another without getting confused, and you will never lose a file.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]