ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jean mathisafter effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:22:15 pm

After effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted? What could that be? Here are the specs of my machine:
Macbook pro unibody dual core april 2009, 2.53 GHZ, 8GB RAM
After effects CS5 (version 10.00)
Multiprocessing is disabled.
Open GL is abled (Adaptive res+Accelerate effects checked)
Disk cache enabled 4MB

Nothing improves when I purge all in edit menu.

All I can say when restart is: Well this works really nice!
Then after I while my enthusiasm gets totally spoiled.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jean

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:29:40 pm

try leaving about half your ram for 'other apps' in the memory settings.

i have a feeling that ae is starving your os of ram, causing it to disk cache. purge all would only clear the ae caches, not the system caches, so that may be the problem... though, restarting ae, might clear the os caches...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:38:07 pm

...and to add to Kevin's advice, I'd recommend turning off multiprocessing, too. I run AE at work on a dual quad-core Mac Pro with 8 gigs, and I almost never use multiprocessing.

I feel that 16 gigs is the threshold for multiprocessing, personally...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jean mathisRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:52:50 pm

Well Dave, if you would have read thoroughly my post you would have noticed that multiprocessing is turned off. This being said with all respect due to one of the most respectable, venerable, senior "Guru" sharing his merits here on CC (It means I really dig you Dude). But yes the treshold for multiprocessing is 16GB on a quadcore I7, I experienced this. I agree with this. So too much memory is sometimes not enough memory if the processor is not up to date. It echoes with kevin's statement somehow. ; )

Return to posts index

jean mathisRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:40:26 pm

Kevin this is an answer that goes against all the prejudices one can have about AE. We all try to upgrade the memory, the speed of our disks and processors constantly and then one guy comes with that strange idea " give less memory" to AE, more to the system. Well, I will try it and let you know by tomorrow.
Thanks for your fast answer.
Jean

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:34:18 pm

[jean mathis] "After effects CS5 (version 10.00)"

If that version number is correct, you need to get your software updated. It's easy: Help>Update.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:37:01 pm

good catch... i'd try dave's suggestion first.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26:22 am

Dave suggested me to disable multiprocessing but if you read the original post I mentioned in it that this was disabled already. I tried your solution but nothing changed. At some point my memory is starving out gradually. I will upgrade to 5.5 maybe that will fix was obviously is a memory management issue.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: after effect running slow after one hour of use but running fast again as soon as restarted?
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:58:32 pm

Even if it doesn't fix your performance issue, you'll thank yourself for updating as soon as you try to use AIFF audio...

Make sure your plugins are up-to-date, too, when you upgrade from 10.0 to 10.0.2. There were some problems with earlier releases of Colorista II and Particular [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:09:12 pm

Yes I know about he AIFF audio "bug", It took me a while to understand this problem BTW, I used .waw sound after this, I was editing a rap video clip, it was such a drag till I understood.
I have CS5.5 installed already, Its just a drag to reinstall all the plugs.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:04:57 pm

Yes I know Dave, AE CS5 10.0 has some serious bugs (called "issues" at Adobe), I have 5.5 already installed but Its just a drag to reinstall al the plugs. Thanks for the advice, you are right I should do it ASAP.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:15:20 pm

You shouldn't have to reinstall plugins. I recommend a visit to Adobe's After Effects forum; Rick Gerard has outlined a technique to use CS 5 plugins in CS 5.5 without reinstallation.

There's a handy search bar right at the top of the page when you click on the Discussions tab. You ought to find it quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:20:30 pm

This is great news Dave! I will check it out ASAP. A million Thanks!
Jean

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:23:00 am

Actually I searched the forum but could not find anything relating to this topic. Is it possible to ask Rick Gerard directly?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:55:57 pm

It's in a thread somewhere in Adobe's AE forum. I'd just post there, stating that you searched to no avail and requesting how to use AE 10 third-party plugins in AE 10.5. Either a link to the thread or a description will be forthcoming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2011 at 10:00:20 am

Dave, I upgraded to CS5.5, the slowing down had disappeared indeed. We are back to normal.
As for making old plugs available to the CS5.5 version I just followed this simple
procedure:

1) duplicate the whole content from of AE CS5's media core folder to the mediacore folder of AE CS5.5

(from hd/library/applicationsupport/Adobe/common/plug-ins/CS5/mediacore
to hd/library/applicationsupport/Adobe/common/plug-ins/CS5.5/mediacore)

2) Duplicate the missing plugs in AE CS5 effects folder to AE CS5 effects CS5.5 folder

3) Duplicate presets and scripts folder in the same manner

Thank you very much for all your helpful advices.
Jean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]