ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

what is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edry Hilariowhat is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:45:06 pm

Why do i get this this message "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel" whenever i import my canon t3i files, im so confused, why does this happen? and how do i flx this problem. Im working on a project and this would really help me because this is driving me crazy.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: what is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:03:32 pm

I don't know the media container nor the codec in which that camera records. Without that information, we can only speculate on the issue.

Okay, ONE of us can only speculate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Edry HilarioRe: what is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:05:19 pm

the camera is shooting, h264, is regular canon . mov files. is shot at 24 fps.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: what is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:24:34 pm

the only thing i can think of is that the camera is including some extra data that ae doesn't recognize, and it's letting you know that it doesn't recognize it (but thinks it is an alpha channel).

if it is still allowing you to import it, then i think you are fine. you might go to the interpret settings options for the footage and check the box for ignore alpha just to make sure it doesn't try to use it (select footage in project window, then choose file>interpret footage>main, the alpha settings are at the top).

if it's not allowing import, then you may have to convert the h264 to another codec... for use in ae, i'd try prores, photo-jpeg or lossless animation. adobe's media encoder and many other compression utilities can do this, and most will do batch conversions.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: what is this "this item has an unlabeled alpha channel"
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:53:52 pm

Here's some more information on alpha channel interpretation [link].

Also, in Preferences > Import, you can tell After Effects how to handle unlabeled alpha channels. You can set it to "Guess" or "Ignore" if you don't want AE to bug you on all these files. (If you choose "Ignore," remember that you may need to manually change the alpha interpretation if you bring in a file that you expect to have alpha, but does not show it.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:33:54 pm

see the problem is that this is not a normal thing though, this doesnt usually happen, also idk how to change my canon t3i files to not record extra data, theres no option to change that, i see people importing the same video footage all the time and this doesnt happen..

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:00:59 pm

what's the version of ae that you are using?

also, it is possible to add interpretation rules for types of footage... in this case, since h.264 doesn't support alpha anyway, you could create a rule that if ae encounters any footage with the h.264 codec then it should ignore the alpha.

something like this added to the 'interpretation rules.txt' file in the ae folder should ignore any alpha data for quicktime files with h.264 compression.
# Quicktime h.264 Ignore alpha rule
*, *, *, "MooV", "MPEG" ~ *, *, *, I, *, *

make sure you make a copy/backup of the original rules file before editing it so you can easily go back to the original.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:04:54 pm

im running after effects cs5, i think i might just reinstall everything, it doesnt want to update either, this is really bothering me. thanks so much i highly apreciate your help. do you think re installing afte effects might fix the problem?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:29:06 pm

you could try a re-install...

do you have any third party codecs installed... anything from aja, avid, that k-lite pack or similar? you could try removing any of those first -- for the k-lite pack you should remove them completely.

if it helps, when you re-install, make sure you have the latest versions of the codecs (but don't re-install the k-lite pack).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:32:08 pm

no i dont have any extra codecs installed for after effects so i should be ok

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]