ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sammy MoirCS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:06:12 pm

I could use some advice. I use After Effects CS5.5 Version on my MacBook Pro. My daughter is in a film making class at her highschool and her system is AE5.5 Version

I thought CS5.5 and AE5.5 should work together... but nope. After creating a project with her at home she was unable to open the file at school.

"After Effects error: this file was created with a newer version of After effects [2.0.2 (unknown)]- time to update your application!"

So the next day we saved the project in my CS5.5 as CS5 and she took it to school again and the same problem presists.... is there anything we can do to share files on t?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:59:49 pm

ae version 5.5 is pre cs1... ae in cs5.5 is actually ae version 10.5, hence the versioning discrepancy that you noted.

you won't be able to save anything from ae cs5.5 and open it in ae5.5 (or any version earlier than cs5).

you should be able to open an ae5.5 project in cs5.5, but i've never tried opening a project from a version quite that old. however, even if you can open them, you'd only be able to save them as cs 5 or 5.5, so they would not be compatible with the school's version.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 11:52:49 pm

From Import an After Effects project [link]:
Note: After Effects CS5 can open and import After Effects projects created by After Effects 6.0 and later. After Effects CS5.5 and later can open and import an After Effects 6.5 project and later.

AE 5.5 is nearly 10 years old. A lot has changed in AE since then.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 11:04:12 pm

Sorry, sir, with two versions of AE so far apart in time, not to mention operating systems, the best that can be expected is to sneakernet rendered files to and from school. There isn't any project file compatibility between the two.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sammy MoirRe: CS5.5 and AE5.5 compatibility issue...
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:30:14 am

Thank you fellas... that clears it up... sadly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved