ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't find the correct effect to use

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno kochCan't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:01:50 pm

I'm working on a short that has a plastic skin patch in it, but the edge didn't really stick to the skin, so long story short i need to make some gaps disappear.
Here is an image of it:
I've made a mask around the "scar", i've been trying many different blurs and color correction methods, sometimes 3 of them at the same time, but i just can't seem to find the right effect to use.
Here is an image of what i managed to accomplish so far:
Does anyone have any experience regarding this problem?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Can't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 8:39:31 pm

you may need to add hair to help disguise the patching.

here's a link to some photoshop brushes for hair that may help you... this would involve creating hair in photoshop and then adding it in ae, so some motion tracking may also be involved if either the arm or camera moves.

at the bottom of that article, there is also a link to some skin brushes that were used in the samples shown.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Can't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:35:43 am

Cloning will likely give you a better result. Kevin's given you some options in PS to look into which are also useful.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Can't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:21:50 am

All of the previous is great advice. My approach would be to create a patch in PSD that looks good and then apply that using tracking (Mocha) and match the grain. Of course we don't know how much the hand is moving or if the camera moves at all, in which case it becomes more complex.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Can't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 3:16:37 pm

I'd start with cloning, like Roland mentioned.

You might also be able to cheat a bit on this shot (or in this sequence) by color grading the left-most edge of the arm. Because the arm is curving away, I think you could throw it into shadow and have it still look realistic and consistent with the style of the frame. This wouldn't complete cover up the edge on the patch, but it would help to push the eye away from that edge and may be combined with any of the suggested approaches.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

bruno kochRe: Can't find the correct effect to use
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:45:24 pm

Thanks for the tips, I've tried some of them out.
It's definitely trackable, but the arm stretches and rotates a bit, so the photoshop method didn't work. I ended up using curves/channel blur/hue-saturation adjustments and a lot of keyframes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved