ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Too high bitrate or poor playback performance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Øivind Jensen
Too high bitrate or poor playback performance
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:20:24 am

Alright Cows,

I am puzzled as I encoded my first 30 fps video in .flv, uploaded it to my website and get different playback results using my two workstations. My oldest system plays back the video smoothly, while my newest system stutters like a nightmare. I've tried lowering the bitrate without getting significant changes in playback results. It is not a buffering problem, as the playback results are the same once downloaded to the computer. Both systems are updated with latest drivers with video acceleration enabled.

The video:
URL: http://www.serpent3d.net/Showroom3.html
Video data: Aspect ratio: 16:9
Bitrate: 4143 Kbps
Audio bitrate: 160 Kbps
Totalt bitrate 4303

The systems:flv_performance.jpg

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: Too high bitrate or poor playback performance
on Dec 5, 2011 at 4:19:18 pm

Can you give us a few more details on the encoding process? (What did you use to encode, streaming vs. progressive, etc.) And: you are using a linked FLV file, not a FLV embedded in a SWF, correct?

One suggestion: Encode an MPEG-4 file. For the onscreen size, try around 1200 Kbps (kilo-bits per second). When it is done, rename it to a *.f4v file, and see how that works.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Øivind Jensen
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:56:00 am

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for your reply. The video was encoded using Adobe After Effects 5.5 , On2 VP6, constant bitrate of 4147 Kbps, 30 fps with a resolution of 960 x 540. The bitrate value was calculated using the flash video bitrate calculator by Robert Reinhardt.

Usually I am using Adobe Premiere without any problems in terms of smooth playback peformance! This time the encoding had to be done in After Effects as I needed some text animation not available in Premiere. Another difference from my regular projects is that I had to crank up the fps to 30 as there was significant movement close to the object.

I would like to add that I am suspecting this issue to relate to the ATI HD 4250 display adapter on my main system, as my older system as well as another low performance laptop in the house can play the video without significant lagging or stuttering. Still, I obviously want to ensure optimal encoding of the video.

Do you have the opportunity to watch the video on your system?

http://www.serpent3d.net/Showroom3.html

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:15:03 pm

[Øivind Jensen] "This time the encoding had to be done in After Effects as I needed some text animation not available in Premiere."

i wouldn't use after effects for the final output if you want the best quality at lower data rates. try rendering to a lossless quicktime or uncompressed avi, then use a compression utility (like adobe's media encoder) to compress for the final streaming output.

however it's curious that the same streaming media is playing back fine on two of your machines, but not the third...

all 3 are streaming from your site, correct?

do you have multiple monitors on the machine that is not playing back smoothly? if so, try disconnecting a display, rebooting and see what happens.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Øivind Jensen
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:52:07 pm

Hello Kevin,

I am very grateful for your feedback. I am sure you know how small problems like these can eat away at your general schedule or deadline. Finding an answer has been really difficult so I appreciate your time.

1. I agree in regard to After Effects versus Premiere, and will improve my workflow avoiding encoding in AE.

2. Yes, it is very strange that the video is lagging on my most powerful system, but plays back effortlessly on an older laptop with standard drivers. I do not have a dual screen configuration, and have been meticulous updating to the latest drivers, checking WHQL and dxdiag status. They're all good, by the way. Let me just also quickly add that the video plays back perfectly locally. The problem only occurs when playing back from my website.

3. I will try your encoding advice tomorrow morning. Thank you. Your help is really appreciated. Did you have the opportunity to check my video? It might be that it plays back normally from your computer as well.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:15:49 pm

i did check out your video, and i too had frequent buffering issues here at work.

i did find that a little unusual since we have gigabit lines here, however we are a regional unit that is a part or a nationwide group, and our networking is group wide, so it's always hard to say where any bandwidth issues occur here... i think our gateway to the internet is about 1,500 miles away from this building...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:17:31 pm

I had some stuttering on my system as well. Hard to know why, though.

I'd recommend always rendering File Sequences out of AE. I've repeated reasons why in a couple posts here this year (so you can probably find them).

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]