ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

More CS 5 - ProRes 4444 Alpha Nonsense

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn MarshallMore CS 5 - ProRes 4444 Alpha Nonsense
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 11:55:05 pm

Quicktimes I render out of After Effects CS 5 using the ProRes 4444 codec are being tagged as having an alpha channel even though my settings in the Output Module are RGB and Trillions of Colors. NOT RGB + Alpha and Trillions of Colors+. It doesn't matter whether my project is 8 bit or 16 bit.

When I bring such movies back into AE it shows them as having an alpha channel (Trillions of Colors+). If I do a Get Info in QT player it shows Millions of Colors+, and FCP shows them as having an alpha, too.

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (figured it was safe after two years) and in the process switched full time to CS 5 (I only used it in the past to open other's projects). I never had these issues with CS4. I have not installed any AJA codecs into this new OS (clean install over wiped HD).

This appears to be the opposite of the problem most have been having, which is AE won't generate an alpha in ProRes 4444 without moving codecs and other nonsense.

The reason this is a problem is because when I bring these Quicktimes with faux alphas into FCP for editing I can't output a reference movie. FCP rewrites the whole timeline.

Haven't these CS 5/ProRes 4444 codec/Alpha channel issues been going on for over a year? Do I have to buy CS 5.5 to get this to work correctly?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Shawn MarshallRe: More CS 5 - ProRes 4444 Alpha Nonsense
by on Dec 4, 2011 at 12:28:56 am

Update:

It appears that if I manually set the ProRes 4444 codec to Millions of Colors+ in my FCP sequence I can export a reference movie. But it still would be nice if I didn't have to go through those extra steps to make it work as it used to.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]