ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoothing the edges on Ken Burns Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben EdwardsSmoothing the edges on Ken Burns Effect
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 5:57:45 pm

I have been doing Ken Burns type effect in both FCP and Avid but would like to smooth the edges so if you do a zoom/direction change during the shot it does not jolt. For example if you do a zoom into to a person and then stop zooming to leave the CU of them for a few seconds when you stop zooming it is abrupt, I want it to slow down progressively and come down to a soft landing.

Can After Effects help with this type of thing?

Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Smoothing the edges on Ken Burns Effect
by on Dec 4, 2011 at 1:16:16 am

What you are describing is the keyframe interpolation or the ease.

Full explanation here:

Shortcuts are here---Keyframes and the Graph Editor (keyboard shortcuts):

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Smoothing the edges on Ken Burns Effect #AfterEffects
by on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:35:19 am

Hi there,

Yes as John says you can do this by automatically adding and Easy Ease to the motion keyfrmaes. Further tweaking can be applied if necessary using the Graph Editor.

After Effects also has a Keyframe Assistant specifically for this purpose to ensure an even speed when panning or zooming using the Scale property. It's name is a little off-putting but it's very easy to use, it's called (wait for it) "Default spatial Interpolation to Linear" Phew!

There are also lots of free animation presets for After Effects that will automatically add these kinds of Ken Burns effects with a drag and drop. you can Browse the free animation presets by going to Animation > Browse Presets. This will open Adobe Bridge where you can see previews of the presets before applying them.

Here's a link to a list of presets in the Help. you can also check here for info regarding the keyframe assistant I spoke of earlier.

Incidentally, you can also do some of this in Final Cut Pro.If my memory serves me correctly you can right-click on a keyframe in FCP (7) and choose to Ease it or Smooth it.

Hope this helps! You'll love After Effects! :-)

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved