ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hello guys new to editing and my video is taking a real long time to convert!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Baker
Hello guys new to editing and my video is taking a real long time to convert!
on Dec 2, 2011 at 8:03:59 pm

Hello guys, I'm trying to convert about a two minute at the max video and it's telling me it will take 10 hours to convert this video I've tried all kinds of setting from WMV to FLV. Space is not an issue but time is an issue for me I don't have 10 hours to get this video done just wouldn't be worth my time. It's a 1080P Video by the way.

My specs are:
6GB, 4.0GHZ, GTX570 SLI.

Any suggestions or tip fellas?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Hello guys new to editing and my video is taking a real long time to convert!
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:00:07 pm

if you are converting video from one codec or container to another, ae would not be what i would use. you would want to use a compression utility that could read the file type and codec that you have and write the file type and codec that you want.

what type of file (avi, mov, etc) do you currently have, and what codec is it (mpeg2, hdv, etc)?

and what do you need to convert it too (both file type and codec) or what will the final file be used for?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brandon Baker
Re: Hello guys new to editing and my video is taking a real long time to convert!
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:07:11 pm

It's not a reconverting a video I've basically created a intro using 3d camera's and stuff in After Effects now I'm trying to produce the final product as for codec and file format It won't really matter the type of file type I can reconvert if needed It's just for youtube.

Thanks for your post! I appreciate support and help!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:02:02 pm

i see...

rendering can take a long time, even on powerful machines. when you get a chance you might look over some of what's posted here for preference settings:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

and from the manual for project based tips:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSF13D6BED-C53B-408a-B2D6...

to try and get your current project and setup render faster, first make sure you are choosing composition>add to render queue to render rather than file>export. among other things, using the render queue should give better performance that exporting.

render to a lossless animation quicktime or uncompressed avi. these files will be huge, but they require very little processing time to encode compared to many other codecs. as you said, you can convert them later for youtube, etc..

if you have inacitve/hidden layers in you comp, delete them before rendering -- if there are layers that you want to keep for layer, duplicate the comp and remove the hidden layers from the duplicate and render that.

if you can, trim layer in and out points if the opacity is 0 or they cannot be seen in the frame. this can reduce ram usage and cpu time for calculations for layers that will not be in the frame anyway.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brandon Baker
on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:09:53 pm

Thank you for the fast replies and help I'll check it out You just gave me alot of help on things I wasn't aware of much appreciated man.

Return to posts index

Brandon Baker
on Dec 3, 2011 at 1:23:53 pm

Oh Sorry to bump the thread but I found really good compressions settings out after you helped me that may help alot of others with midrange - high end builds with youtube compression.

Set your output module to H.264, Go into the H.264(MP4) Settings set your Min bitrate to 6 and your max bitrate to 9 and your preset to high, make sure your audio is set to ACC pretty sure it does that automatically but it dropped my convert time from 15 hrs to 4hrs/3hrs and 30 minutes.

Learning so much on my own haha.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:42:29 pm

I wouldn't do mp4/h.264. The reason: AE is incapable of multipass rendering, a process that makes h.264's look a LOT better.

Take Kevin's advice. Make the big, lossless file. Use Adobe Media Encoder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]