ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about adding lights to 3D scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kjetil SkaaraQuestion about adding lights to 3D scene
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:22:40 pm

I have made a simple room in 3D, and want to fill it with
moving, shiny, neon, flashing and or colored lights, along the walls, ceiling and floor. Im just wondering if its possible or common to do this in a software like Adobe After Effects?

Thank you for any help or advice on this

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Question about adding lights to 3D scene
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:14:57 am

In order for us to better understand your project it would be beneficial to post a drawing or an image that illustrates your idea of "moving, shiny, neon, flashing and or colored lights, along the walls, ceiling and floor".
Are you referring to something like a bar/nightclub neon sign, disco lights, Tron like lights... there can be many interpretations.
Do you need these lights to be volumetric or can they be 2d?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kjetil SkaaraRe: Question about adding lights to 3D scene
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 3:12:43 pm

thanks for answer..sorry i can see how it dont illustrates my question very well.

room.jpg

My project is very young and im very new to AE, but i have a room similar to the one in the link, and if i want to have lights following the wall or ceiling like in the picture, doesnt matter what kind of light, but what if i want the light to affect a 3d object in the middle of the room?

Should i make the light in both 3d package and AE? Or light everything in 3d then just edit it further in AE?

Hope this is better explained, thanks you..

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Question about adding lights to 3D scene
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:35:25 pm

Depending on what 3d package you use you may be able to export the position for your lights so that you can match them with AE lights. In this case you can light the object in your 3d package and match that lighting in AE. If it's pretty simple as far as the position of the lights you can position them just in reference to the room/space in which the object moves.
If it's a simple object you may be able to use a 3d plugin like Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro to brin and animate that object in AE and use only AE Lights to light your scene. Again, I do not have sufficient info to be able to say if that will work or not.
Further on, I think you may benefit from this tutorial:
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/building-a-3d-world-in-after-effect...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kjetil SkaaraRe: Question about adding lights to 3D scene
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:07:56 am

ok, thanks a lot, this helps me alot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]