ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there a way to change DPI units in AE?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew WoodsIs there a way to change DPI units in AE?!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:35:43 pm

Now before all of you assume I'm a photoshop guy and spout DPI has no meaning in video (believe me I have done that enough myself), let me say that I work with museum multimedia and we very often know exactly how big a video is going to be displayed, and I often have to consider the pixels per inch ratio of a video projection to know how big an image will be when projected. I have always assumed AE knew nothing about DPI and did the calculation by hand.

Anyway, I was just asked for the real world dimensions of some masks in a template that I created. I double clicked on the "shape..." property of the mask path to get the bounding box, and I noticed a dropdown menu for "Units." Under this menu, I discovered the option to view the bounding box in "inches." I tried it out, and it seems to assume 72 DPI. Is there any way to change this units DPI value? The fact that an "inches" view option exists leads me to think so, but I can't find it anywhere. Being able to get real world bounding box dimensions would have the potential of saving me a lot of calculator time.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Is there a way to change DPI units in AE?!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:48:27 pm

I believe that this setting is accessed from your display card's settings.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Is there a way to change DPI units in AE?!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:20:29 pm

Hmm. I don't seem to have any options for that in my display prefs.
I'm on a mac, so I don't get as many display card options.

Thanks for the thought though.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is there a way to change DPI units in AE?!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:40:04 pm

This possibly might be easier than you think. I see you work with projected video for this.

If you know the width of the projected image, and if you know the horizontal resolution of your template, you can simply divide pixels by inches to get the pixels per inch.

Once you know that, it's a simple matter to determine the projected size of that rectangle in the template.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Is there a way to change DPI units in AE?!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:56:09 pm

Its not a hard calculation to do. I was just wanting to see if there was a new trick to improve workflow. One trick I have used in the past is to figure out the approximate size of things is to change my grid size based on it. I can then easily turn on the grid to get an idea of how big things are if for example I wanted a person to be life size in a projection. (I wish I could do that on a per project basis rather than in the prefs). In this case I needed an exact size for a number of areas in the template, so I needed to do the calculation a lot. I never knew that AE did anything in inches, so I was surprised to discover this. I'd hoped there was a way to adjust this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]